Tool Grinder Centering Gauge Questions?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
The Cincinnati #2 tool grinder that I recently adopted from forum member Charley Davidson did not come with a centering gauge. Charley had one but it was painted to match the Do-All grinder that he kept and he insisted it did not go with the Cincinnati grinder.:( The Cincinnati accessories that I received were painted several colors including gray, blue and orange as is often the case with old machinery that is adopted from several sources. So I don't know for sure if the centers I have are the right ones or not. So now I need to learn how to use the centering gauge and either purchase one or make one that will work with what I already have.

Charley recalled that someone had told him the gauge was used from the table and was fit to the machined groove on the center line of the spindle housing and to the center line of the centers. It did fit his centers and his spindle did have center lines. I borrowed his centering gauge (photo below) and checked it to my centers, it did not align. One of the Cincinnati manuals on line show an illustration (photo below) of the centering gauge being used setting on top of the spindle housing reaching over to a cutter tooth which would seem to indicate that it should align with the centerline groove on the spindle housing and the tailstock/headstock centers from the top position.

Charley's Centering Gauge
Centering Gauge - Charley's.jpg

Cincinnati Illustration:
Centering Gauge - Cincinnati 1939.jpg

Should the centering gauge align to both, that is, should it be capable of being a fit from the top of the spindle housing to align with both the spindle center and headstock/tailstock centers and from the table top to the headstock/tailstock centers?

Has anyone made a centering gauge or know of a source for such a project description?

Below are a couple of photos showing Charley's gauge setting on my machine, didn't work.
From top of spindle:
Center Guage to Spindle.jpg

From table to centers:
Center Guage to Center.jpg

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Centering Gauge - Charley's.jpg Centering Gauge - Cincinnati 1939.jpg Center Guage to Spindle.jpg Center Guage to Center.jpg

Back