Tool Cutter Grinder

When you consider that a Deckel costs around $10k, $900 doesn't seem like a lot, but at any price, if it's not
accurate, even $100 is too much. The prototype company that I worked for, had a Deckel. Made in Germany.
Most of the collets were missing., but I remember how well it was made. I have no idea how one would check
a T&C grinder other than to try grinding a few tools.
I've seen Imports that don't seem bad. Check out Stefans YouTube video. I think he modified a Chinese Deckel copy.

Some times I think it might be cheaper/easier to just buy a surface grinder, and make fixtures as needed.

I have had many conversations with an English friend of mine about the somewhat utilitarian aspects of the Clarkson Mk II tool and cutter grinder. On one hand they are very basic and somewhat rough, but on the other hand they just get the job done. I have seen and owned fancier tool and cutter grinders but none came to the ease of use of the Clarkson. There's no point owning a machine if it's too hard or time consuming to set up and use.

Paul.

Yes and the quorn is too small. Take a look at the T&C I built for some ideas. It is in members projects. I have to take mine apart and make a small change but it is nothing major. You can build one as good as the Cuttermaster a whole lot cheaper. I think if I bought everything for mine it woul cost about $500.
One thing to remember ( I learned this the hard way) . You build a beautiful grinder and suddenly realize you can't use it because you have to make all the fixtures to use it. ( They are too expensive to buy). I have been making them as I need them.
I went to member projects, and I don't see your projects.

The nice thing about T&C grinders is their versatility. You can get them to grind just about anything that you can fit into their envelope. Of course, you will probably have to find or build a fixture to make it work, but the biggest limitation is the imagination of the user. Make sure to get one with an envelope large enough to fit the kind of work you plan on doing, plus some extra if possible and if you can find the space for it.

I picked up a Cincinnati No2 T&C. I thought it was huge (the basic machine is probably 2000#). Now that I have used it a bit - I've found that it is adequate for general purpose grinding. One still has to be thoughtful of the set ups, as it is easy to run out of room. The attachments are critical - without the attachments the basic machine, though an impressive piece of kit - goes for scrap price.

I have a Rockwell delta ) T&C grinder which came with a few accessories and over the years have made many more fixtures, It came with just one hub, but me being the whizzbang guy I am, figured out how to build several more. Yes they are a PITA to make but now I know how it's done. This is all a learning exercise anyway. This is a T&C/surface grinder and has done all that I have ever ask of it and some more. I look for additional pieces and stones while checking out auctions and such. Setting by my 11X30 Rockwell lathe is about 2feet of 12L14 that will be made into more hubs. Yes, they are tough to do but I am very happy with the results from the first batch.

Back in the stone age, when I was a apprentice I spent 2/300 hrs in the tool and cutter grind area. Most of the work was done on Cincinnati t&c machines but several were set up for just special jobs. Like corner radii on end mills. But all of the operators could have done most of the work by hand. That is how they split to center the drills and gummed out the end mills if they got back a broken one.
The leadman checked all out going cutters before they were coated with plastic move into the tool room. There was a shadowgraph to check all angles on.
But most of the drills were handled in another shop where a group of people sat at bench grinders all day hand grinding drills from the smallest to about 1/2 dia.
They never paid me enough for that job.

Off topic but it always killed me that when they repainted that area all the old benches around the walls were pulled back so the contractors could get in there. Bunch of art work (graphitti) was found showing Hitler, Tojo and other WWII topics. They should have at least photographed it all, but no......

One guy called those days BC ... before calculators... (1968)

I can't even imagine a nc t&c

Back