Tool bit grinding - some thoughts and questions

Great explanation(s) Rick. Even with all my homework :biggrin: you've managed to add quite a bit to my "personal knowledge-base" with what you included. Thanks very much for that.

-Ron

Rick,
Great post!!!!
I watched a post by Mrpete222 or "Tubal Cain" (can't remember which) and he offered a wooden set of guide blocks that assist in understanding all of the angles involved in tool grinding. Since all I have currently is relatively high rpm grinders what is the basic rule for coloring the metal with heat when making a tool bit. No color at all, slight dicoloration, light blue or deep blue allowed? I used to grind chain saw chains and other cutting type tools and strove for mimimum discoloration and minimum material removal. It seemed to really help the band saw and resaw blades I sharpened and reset every day. They seemed to stay sharper longer, but that may have just been wishfull thinking on my part too. Your thoughts and input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Bob

Rick, Thank you for the great explanation on my question. I knew it couldn't be good deep down, but I did not know the technical reasons why. You have certainly enlightened me. Maybe those resaw blades were staying sharp longer after all.
Thanks!!!
Bob

Back