Tool and cutter grinder build

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I have started a new project. This will be a long build (I think). I am making a Tool and cutter grinder. I Know, I'm a little :nuts:. I have been researching this for quite a while and finally settled on a combination of the "Bonelle" grinder and the "Quorn" grinder as they both have features I like and I am adding a few features of my own. I am very nervous :veryscared:as this is , I believe the most complex machining task I have ever attempted. I have downloaded and studied Bill Gruby's grinder thread and I must say , he has influenced me to tackle this project. The one big change is I am lengthening the base unit from 12" to 18" to have more travel. This came from talking to a few people who have built the Quorn. The ones in these photos have 12" bases. I am also going to change the work head to use 5C collets because of their size range and they have square collets available

Bonelle Grinder9.jpg This is a photo of a Bonelle grinder Quorn grinder9.jpg This is a photo of a Quorn grinder. The Bonelle is an over engineered Quorn made without using castings. I am building a combination of the two. The plan is to take the best features from each and combine them into one machine.

Cut parts for grinder base.jpg This is what I have done so far.:think1:This is the parts of the base cut from stock cold finish steel. This machine is no lightweight, flimsy piece of work. The base blocks are 2" X 2" steel. The finished base will be 19" long, 11" wide and 15" high with the motor mast mounted. These parts in the photo weigh almost 50 pounds combined, so the complete machine with a motor and work head will most likely weigh a bit over 75 pounds.
As soon as the shop is warm enough to start machining, I will begin machining these base parts ( my little heater can't keep up with these cold temps. It has been below 10 degrees F for the last week).

So, those interested, keep watching this space. suggestions and even criticisms will be welcome.

Bonelle Grinder9.jpg Quorn grinder9.jpg Cut parts for grinder base.jpg

Sounds and looks like a interesting and useful project, I will be following this thread. Bob

I can tell you are committed, or at least you should be :rofl:

I'll be sure and watch this build closely.

Karl

Waiting to see the magic. This ought to be a good project to follow. :thumbsup2:

I have considered the Quorn, but tabled the idea until I get some other projects completed. Tool and cutter grinders are uncharted waters for me, so I will be watching in earnest!

Go for it Mark. You will be nervous at first and get over it once you get involved. I will help any way I can.

"Billy G"

The Quorn guys tell me it takes 400 to 600 hours to build. We'll see. I been studying drawings and web posts on building for a couple weeks. There is a lot of planning and you are right Bill, it does make me nervous, but once I get going, I think it will get much better. I was putting it off and decided to just do it.

You do amazing work. Can't wait to watch you create another piece of art.

Tom S

I can't wait for postures of the build :) I am most interested in the workhead and grinding spindle.

If this turns out like all your other projects, it should be a gem in the shop!

Back