Took apart my calipers to clean...

awaqa909

Registered
Registered
So my calipers can read a 1" standard fine but disagree with other calipers. Sometimes up to .010. So about a month ago I decided I would take them home and clean them. I've now finally have the time and remembrance to clean them. (never tried any other standards at that time) It was a particular dirty job that I think did it.

My calipers are Mitutoyo 505-742-56, a 6" dial caliper with a black face and red needle. They've always been a bit stiff and I've always wondered if they were counterfeit, but they were sold on amazon by mitutoyo or sold by amazon, and they also read about 5 different standards correctly. When I first got them.

I pop off the plastic U that keeps the calipers from coming apart. Slide the pieces apart and realize the thumb wheel is about to fall, so I grab that off. I'm just checking out the horrible amount of dirt/dust this caliper has gained. I go to look inside and it's not looking too pretty either, but as I was looking in it, a bent copper piece fell out.

My problem right now is that I have no idea where this copper piece went and why it's bent. One one end it's got a hole, maybe .040, .020 thick, .050 wide, 2"~ long.
What can I use for oil? I could probably go to academy or maybe a local gun store and get some gun oil if that would work.

Thanks,
Awaqa909

That copper piece is the gib that goes in the top. The little hole goes on the front end where the little adjustment screw is ( the screw has a little end that catches the hole). I use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil, but just a tiny bit as the oil will grab dirt.( The whole rack does not need oil, just a drop on the gear.

That copper piece is the gib that goes in the top. The little hole goes on the front end where the little adjustment screw is ( the screw has a little end that catches the hole). I use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil, but just a tiny bit as the oil will grab dirt.( The whole rack does not need oil, just a drop on the gear.
Thank you! But because it is bent, does it go in a certain direction? Do I need to straighten it out? I can't seem to get the calipers any further apart without having to take out the adjustment screws. I don't know what they adjust and how hard they are to get back into adjustment. Could the gib being bent be giving me these bad readings?

Back