• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Took apart my calipers to clean...

awaqa909

So my calipers can read a 1" standard fine but disagree with other calipers. Sometimes up to .010. So about a month ago I decided I would take them home and clean them. I've now finally have the time and remembrance to clean them. (never tried any other standards at that time) It was a particular dirty job that I think did it.

My calipers are Mitutoyo 505-742-56, a 6" dial caliper with a black face and red needle. They've always been a bit stiff and I've always wondered if they were counterfeit, but they were sold on amazon by mitutoyo or sold by amazon, and they also read about 5 different standards correctly. When I first got them.

I pop off the plastic U that keeps the calipers from coming apart. Slide the pieces apart and realize the thumb wheel is about to fall, so I grab that off. I'm just checking out the horrible amount of dirt/dust this caliper has gained. I go to look inside and it's not looking too pretty either, but as I was looking in it, a bent copper piece fell out.

My problem right now is that I have no idea where this copper piece went and why it's bent. One one end it's got a hole, maybe .040, .020 thick, .050 wide, 2"~ long.
What can I use for oil? I could probably go to academy or maybe a local gun store and get some gun oil if that would work.

Thanks,
Awaqa909

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
That copper piece is the gib that goes in the top. The little hole goes on the front end where the little adjustment screw is ( the screw has a little end that catches the hole). I use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil, but just a tiny bit as the oil will grab dirt.( The whole rack does not need oil, just a drop on the gear.

awaqa909

That copper piece is the gib that goes in the top. The little hole goes on the front end where the little adjustment screw is ( the screw has a little end that catches the hole). I use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil, but just a tiny bit as the oil will grab dirt.( The whole rack does not need oil, just a drop on the gear.
Thank you! But because it is bent, does it go in a certain direction? Do I need to straighten it out? I can't seem to get the calipers any further apart without having to take out the adjustment screws. I don't know what they adjust and how hard they are to get back into adjustment. Could the gib being bent be giving me these bad readings?