Too Large A Rotary Table

kf4zht

Registered
Registered
Shopping for a rotary table with a few projects in mind. Trying to find something used locally since I have time but most of what pops up are the 10-12" range.

This will be going on a PM727 mill. Assuming that a 10" table has about 1" of overlap on the sides it will hang off the front and back, but could be centered up with the spindle.

Would having an oversize table like this cause issues? Most of the complaints I read on the larger tables are weight, I have a hoist I use regularly and am in decent shape.

Height is the bigger issue. How much travel do you have from table to spindle.?

What about the height ? to me that could be a problem. Table height plus tool space plus workpiece equals available space.

fixit

Height is the bigger issue. How much travel do you have from table to spindle.?

The machine has 18" of spindle to table. Right now I am using a vise with swivel and haven't had any issues with Z travel. Not even sure if the grease on the top 3-4" of column dovetails has been touched. For most of what I need as long as it isn't taller than 5-6" I should be ok.

That is pretty nice, unfortunately I don't have a lathe.

Depending on what you'll be doing, it could be too tall and wide. I have a 5" RT and it's almost too big for my Mini-Mill which has 12" Z travel. Also, if you ever want to combine it with an angle plate, you be out of luck because you may run out of table length like I almost did for this operation.

IMG_1104.JPG

I have a 8"rotary table that is about all I want to pick up and move by hand any more. A 6" swing dividing head and tailstock on a sub plate as well. If they were any heavier I would probably rarely or never use them. I have a hoist, but it just makes the job a bigger and slower chore. A lot of it depends on what size work you typically do. More capacity is a good thing up to a point. I prefer not to buy what I call "1% solutions", meaning up sizing for the rare job or "just in case." I try to meet 99% of my needs well. I try to select house, vehicle, and tools to fit my ordinary needs, and then look at alternative ideas for the rare occasions when I need something bigger. I don't want to have an 18 wheeler sitting around so I can move a 24 x 240" lathe just in case I might need one someday. That likely goes against the mind set of many of us on this forum... 8^)

Every time I put my 10" compound tilt rotary table on my mill using my jib crane due to its weight. It reminds me of the Flintstone cartoons, where the bar hop puts the rack of ribs on the side of the car, and the car flips over. Well, that's how I feel about my large heavy rotary table everytime I use it.:frown 2::frown::blue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Vertex 10" . It is very heavy , I wish I had an 8 inch RT . I will probably pick up a 6" if a deal comes my way .

Back