Tony Wells Needs Our Help!

I'm doing my best, Chip! DIY PT isn't the easiest thing to make yourself do, but it should pay off in the long run.

Tony... Just a comment about the PT... Yes!!! Do the PT. I've had 3 rotator cuff repairs (no, I don't have 3 arms) and kinda slacked off on the physical therapy on the last one. WRONG!!!!! Keep it up, it's worth it... Bill W.

Hi Tony, I sent some spandu -- money! back in November it bounced back today so sent again via the direct link so please let me know it arrive OK this time.
Hope you are recovering and I too know how it is self employed for 40 years -- now retired'ish well still can't put the tools down.
Merry Christmas and I sincerely hope a better and more prosperous 2017 Cheers John

Many thanks, John! Very much appreciated. I hope 2017 is much better.....not sure I'd survive another '16!

Hello Tony hope 2017 was better fir you --how are you doing? I sure hope you are well on the road to recovery both health wise and financially --my wife has had an operation on her ankle last October so now even more aware of the problems you must have had.
Anyway all the best for 2018

Egad! I go away for 4 years and this happens to you and Bill gets sick too.

In all sincerity now, I hope you're mending well.

Ray

Well, it's been a long year. Certainly not one of my better ones. I think the bone has healed as much as it is going to, and it will have to do. It still causes me pain, and I can forget about running, even in an emergency. I use a cane part of the time, if I'm going to try to be up a while, but no relief on that pesky screw that either backed out or the doc didn't run all the way in. Maybe they didn't have the correct length in stock.

Financially, I made it with the help of friends, and I managed to do just a little light work in another field. My shop has become a storehouse more than anything and looks like a cyclone hit it, as my Mom used to say about my bedroom when I was a kid. There were many things I did not and could not get to do. Working on an early retirement with SS benefits now. Eventually things will smooth out. It's better than the last half of last year for sure, so I shouldn't complain and won't. Now the major problem is my back, and of all things, I have gone 80+% deaf. It's nice to have peace and quiet at times, I will admit, but I sure don't take hearing for granted any more.

Red, I hope your wife does well with her ankle. I think the one piece of advice I would give is the some of the same I got: Do the PT. As much as she can. It may be no fun but it will pay off in the long run. I also learned about nerve damage from using a walker. I did a number on my ulnar nerve ("funny bone" nerve) and now have no sensation other than a constant tingling in both pinkies and half of both ring fingers. Doc says it will grow back or it won't.....he couldn't say. Ruined what little guitar playing I used to try to do. Can't tell where all my fingers are. Doc could not tell me where the damage actually was, but I suspect it is between the shoulders and the neck where that nerve enters the spinal column. Since I was on "toe touch" limits for 90 days after I was allowed to get out of the chair, I hefted all my weight on my arms with every step. Pretty sure that was rough on the joints all around from the wrists to the neck. No one told me I was doing it wrong, so I don't know. One guy kept asking if I was former Military......not sure why. I just hope it does eventually heal. Nerves grow at the speed of hair, supposedly, so I guess I haven't had time to grow hair down to the ends of my arms. We'll see if he knows anything. Give her my best wishes and get well thoughts.

Ray, I appreciate it. It's been rough, but I've been taken care of better than I deserve. I'll get by, that's the main thing. The guys here have been an incredible help in many ways. It has been taxing I will admit, and one reason I am taking a break from so much direct involvement here. I'm tired. But I'll be ok.

Nerves grow at the speed of hair, supposedly, so I guess I haven't had time to grow hair down to the ends of my arms. We'll see if he knows anything. Give her my best wishes and get well thoughts.

Less than a hair, 1mm a month supposedly. I cut a nerve when my wife and I went to an Air Show, and I wore my son on a chest pack. I lifted weights at the time and could not lift anylonger. My scapula would wing out. It did come back, it was like a year before it all came back. I am going through the same nerve issues you are right now. Feels like an entrapped ulnar, but they are saying it's compressed disks in the neck, and the neuro surgeon does not want to operate right now.

So back to you. Do you still want to work in your shop?
Years ago, I saw a paralyzed guy from the waist down, he was working on cars using something that looked like a hand cart tipped at 15-30 degrees with wheels supporting the weight. He was strapped in, so he could work on the cars. He had a joy stick to move around in it. If you want to, it may be available to get you back in the shop.

I missed this thread until today, I never knew what you were going through. I wish you well.

Get well soon Tony. I know exactly what you're going through.
Speedy recovery.

Back