Todays' tool haul

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a few local pawn shops and used tool stores I like to check out on Saturday mornings. Sometimes I find some gems.

I decided I need a set of telescoping bore gauges. Haven't had an application for them before, but could've used them this week while boring a 3.25in diameter hole. Checked on-line to see what they run for new as reference, and found a SPI set on sale at MSC for $85.

This morning, at one of the pawn shops, I found a new Yuasa telescoping gauge set for less than half the MSC sale price at $40. I also bought a new Starett center punch sets in the original wooden box for $40, $30 less than the cheapest on-line price, and I bought a nice Lufkin depth gauge in the custom wooden box with two extensions for $15.

The black boxy thing on the lid of the Lufkin box is a right-angle gear box that looked interesting for $5.

All told the asking price was $100. I countered with $90 out the door, and they agreed.

At one of the used tool stores I also bought an old, but very nice Starett Last Word indicator, and a 1-inch diameter Brown and Sharp gauge block for $25. Wanted a Last Word indicator since seeing Tubal Cain demonstrate one on his video series.

Today's haul (pic below) $115. Not earth shattering savings but I'm tickled.

Tool_haul_4FEB17.jpg

Last edited:
Pawn shops around here don't take machinists tools anymore. They're slow on the turn around.

"Billy G"

Pawn shops around here don't take machinists tools anymore. They're slow on the turn around.

"Billy G"
Same. It's disappointing. But LOTS of cheap battery/power tools, most with the previous owners name still on them..............

I must be livin' in the wrong town. I never see stuff like that in pawn shops. Congrats. and yes you stink.
I used to have a set of Starett center punches in the wooden cylinder. It walked off with somebody new. I miss 'em.

I don't often see machinist tools in the pawn shops here either, but one of them had a couple of Mitutoyo micrometers a couple years back and wanted just shy of new price for them. They still had them a year later...

I don't often see machinist tools in the pawn shops here either, but one of them had a couple of Mitutoyo micrometers a couple years back and wanted just shy of new price for them. They still had them a year later...
There's one pawn shop in our small city and all they sell second hand HF type tools, of course I can't blame them for stocking only what they can sell but most of their stuff is $20 or so lower than the brand new ones .
And no machinist tools.

Back