Tired, in a hurry, don't do what I did - bad accident - end mill defeated finger.

How are you how are you holding up otherwise David?

Well, I don't like to complain, but . . . LOL I came home from the hospital after the amputation with a nerve block that made the thumb, index and middle finger totally numb from the palm outward. About midnight, the nerve block started to wear off, and I was completely unprepared for what happened the next 10 hours. The exit interview comments at the hospital were "You will experience moderate discomfort as the nerve block wears off - that's a sign to take some of the pain meds." By 3AM I was in crippling pain throughout the hand, bad enough that all I could do was shake violently and grit my teeth. Living alone, I could not get water to my mouth because of the shaking, but did manage to choke down some pain meds dry. You know what it feels like to hit a finger hard with a dead blow hammer, right? OK, do that to all five fingers in quick succession and imagine it doesn't subside but just gets worse, and some is helping by pouring boiling water on your hand at the same time. That was pretty much it for 10 hours. Turns out, there was something in the nerve block agent that caused a bad reaction - like a toxin or something that lit up the nerves. Once the nerve block wore off completely, I was left with the kind of pain I expected from the amputation - easy to ignore with some pain meds. We're now on day four since the amputation and nominal pain (no complaints), and so far no ghosting of the missing digit. With some luck, I'll be back in the shop in a few days - and I'm ready because this is BORING. Thanks for the kind words and support.

David

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Now I know why you have been so quiet. Thanks for posting this as a reminder for all of us to be more careful.

Best wishes on a smooth and speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you're thru the worst of it- get back to work soon man
Mark S.

I'm with all other voices about a rapid cure David, after some decades of work we become all less careful than we ask to our apprentices, I think it's a mondially silly thing for all handworkers, sit on a chair behind a screen, the risk of making such accident with your computer's keybord make less injuries…
I'm a very requiring person about security with all others workers but last year I loss the end of my finger in the same way as you, using the old technique of a small paper sheet for detecting the contact between the mill and work, my glove and the upper part of my finger( as I have no sensations in the end of fingers I always use thin anti-cut:grin big: gloves) were cut by the two cuts aluminium mill without any sensation only because it was on the working speed in place of the slow speed, just something occurs when you make that since 30 years.:boxed in:

We are all same made, when you have too much routine at workshop it's time to go slower in place of calling the 911 service.

Anti cut gloves are a really bad idea around our machines. They will drag you in. I will not allow anything beyond 5 mil nitrile gloves around a machine that is plugged in to power. No cloth rags around the machine, either. I only take easily torn gloves and paper towels to the machines. I would rather lose a blue glove or a paper towel than a hand.

Like everyone else here, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but glad you're on the mend, it could've been much worse. I nearly lost a big toe in a lawn mower accident nearly 25 years ago while mowing a ditch in the evening when the grass got damp, I pulled the mower up the side of the ditch & lost my footing. In a vain effort to keep my balance I pulled it up & over my foot & it got me but fortunately the blade was dull & the engine was only running at a fast idle. Still, my toe was nearly severed but the surgeon reattached it & I got to keep it thankfully. Never forget: it only takes an instant of inattention or carelessness to get injured.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support. I worked up the courage to examine the result and here it is - I'm feeling a bit like Frankenstein.

IMG_6328.jpg

Let this be encouragement to you all to slow down and be safe.

I'm sorry sorry for your accident. I too have done my stupidist stuff while tired. Heal fast and God bless.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

That photo almost looks like it was Photoshopped. I know it isn't, but it just doesn't look right. They didn't do a bad job, nice and clean right at the joint. Looks like it will heal quickly that way. I'm sure it'll be sore for a while.

David, my hat is off to you for sharing and encouraging others to learn from your mistake.

I hope you are back in the shop soon.

Jerry Garcia had a missing fingertip on his picking (right) hand, next finger over I believe.
Cheers Dave
Mark S.

Back