Tired, in a hurry, don't do what I did - bad accident - end mill defeated finger.

It is always sad to hear of accidents that turn out bad. Thank you, David, for your incredible sharing of this accident during what must be a difficult time for you. Not many of us would do the same, self shame feelings would likely get in the way. All of us here are hoping for the best possible outcome for you. It often turns out better than expected. The body is a great healing machine and modern medical practice has learned how to improve outcomes quite a lot. Your post would make an excellent sticky on one of the beginner forums, and perhaps re-posted occasionally to remind all of us that safety is serious business.

Well, s**t happens, I guess. Could have been a lot worse. Welcome to the club!!! ;)

Didn't have the guts to view the enlarged pic.

David

Sorry to hear about your accident. An important reminder to all of us to that the machines and tools we use are not forgiving. If we're honest we've all had those stupid momentary lapses of good judgement. Thank you for sharing yours as it may well prevent an accident for someone else.

Best wishes for your recovery.

On a lighter note - you are a true HM member - you took time to snap some photos for the forum BEFORE going to the hospital! :)

Ouch owe , sorry to see and hear of the accident. That's the reason to post it. Maybe it will keep just one from reaching in with a machine that has no feelings at all. I hope and pray it all heals and works right.

Quick follow-up to thank everyone for their good wishes. Turns out there wasn't enough viable tissue on the nail side of the finger to save it, so a few days ago I had the last digit on the finger amputated. I now also answer to the name Stubby. Be safe.

Been there, done that. In my case it was a biscuit saw. Carbide makes short work of tissue removal. I didn't lose a significant part of my thumb, but it took years to fully recover feeling in the tip as a result of nerve damage. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear of your injury, David.
In my nearly 50 years around machinery, including 7 years as an OH&S inspector with our Department of Labour, I haven't come across a machine with a conscience.
Thanks for sharing the reminder with us all, and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Russell

Time and again we're told, "Turn it off... and wait 'til the turning parts stop turning."

I am so sorry to hear about your injury and wish you the fastest, best recovery possible. As many have said, I appreciate you being brave enough to give us this warning! I will take this frank reminder about safety to heart.

David

Back