• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Tired, in a hurry, don't do what I did - bad accident - end mill defeated finger.

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
It is always sad to hear of accidents that turn out bad. Thank you, David, for your incredible sharing of this accident during what must be a difficult time for you. Not many of us would do the same, self shame feelings would likely get in the way. All of us here are hoping for the best possible outcome for you. It often turns out better than expected. The body is a great healing machine and modern medical practice has learned how to improve outcomes quite a lot. Your post would make an excellent sticky on one of the beginner forums, and perhaps re-posted occasionally to remind all of us that safety is serious business.

jpooch00

Well, s**t happens, I guess. Could have been a lot worse. Welcome to the club!!! ;)

Didn't have the guts to view the enlarged pic.

BFHammer

David

Sorry to hear about your accident. An important reminder to all of us to that the machines and tools we use are not forgiving. If we're honest we've all had those stupid momentary lapses of good judgement. Thank you for sharing yours as it may well prevent an accident for someone else.

Best wishes for your recovery.

On a lighter note - you are a true HM member - you took time to snap some photos for the forum BEFORE going to the hospital! :)

Silverbullet

Ouch owe , sorry to see and hear of the accident. That's the reason to post it. Maybe it will keep just one from reaching in with a machine that has no feelings at all. I hope and pray it all heals and works right.

davidpbest

Quick follow-up to thank everyone for their good wishes. Turns out there wasn't enough viable tissue on the nail side of the finger to save it, so a few days ago I had the last digit on the finger amputated. I now also answer to the name Stubby. Be safe.

This Old Lathe

Iron
Registered Member
Been there, done that. In my case it was a biscuit saw. Carbide makes short work of tissue removal. I didn't lose a significant part of my thumb, but it took years to fully recover feeling in the tip as a result of nerve damage. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Papa Smurf

Swarf
Registered Member
Sorry to hear of your injury, David.
In my nearly 50 years around machinery, including 7 years as an OH&S inspector with our Department of Labour, I haven't come across a machine with a conscience.
Thanks for sharing the reminder with us all, and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Russell

JimmyDee

Swarf
Registered Member
Time and again we're told, "Turn it off... and wait 'til the turning parts stop turning."

d_limiter

Iron
Registered Member
I am so sorry to hear about your injury and wish you the fastest, best recovery possible. As many have said, I appreciate you being brave enough to give us this warning! I will take this frank reminder about safety to heart.

David

davidpbest

How are you how are you holding up otherwise David?
Well, I don't like to complain, but . . . LOL I came home from the hospital after the amputation with a nerve block that made the thumb, index and middle finger totally numb from the palm outward. About midnight, the nerve block started to wear off, and I was completely unprepared for what happened the next 10 hours. The exit interview comments at the hospital were "You will experience moderate discomfort as the nerve block wears off - that's a sign to take some of the pain meds." By 3AM I was in crippling pain throughout the hand, bad enough that all I could do was shake violently and grit my teeth. Living alone, I could not get water to my mouth because of the shaking, but did manage to choke down some pain meds dry. You know what it feels like to hit a finger hard with a dead blow hammer, right? OK, do that to all five fingers in quick succession and imagine it doesn't subside but just gets worse, and some is helping by pouring boiling water on your hand at the same time. That was pretty much it for 10 hours. Turns out, there was something in the nerve block agent that caused a bad reaction - like a toxin or something that lit up the nerves. Once the nerve block wore off completely, I was left with the kind of pain I expected from the amputation - easy to ignore with some pain meds. We're now on day four since the amputation and nominal pain (no complaints), and so far no ghosting of the missing digit. With some luck, I'll be back in the shop in a few days - and I'm ready because this is BORING. Thanks for the kind words and support.

bss1

David

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Now I know why you have been so quiet. Thanks for posting this as a reminder for all of us to be more careful.

Best wishes on a smooth and speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okapi

Iron
Registered Member
I'm with all other voices about a rapid cure David, after some decades of work we become all less careful than we ask to our apprentices, I think it's a mondially silly thing for all handworkers, sit on a chair behind a screen, the risk of making such accident with your computer's keybord make less injuries…
I'm a very requiring person about security with all others workers but last year I loss the end of my finger in the same way as you, using the old technique of a small paper sheet for detecting the contact between the mill and work, my glove and the upper part of my finger( as I have no sensations in the end of fingers I always use thin anti-cut:grin big: gloves) were cut by the two cuts aluminium mill without any sensation only because it was on the working speed in place of the slow speed, just something occurs when you make that since 30 years.:boxed in:

We are all same made, when you have too much routine at workshop it's time to go slower in place of calling the 911 service.

Bob Korves

Anti cut gloves are a really bad idea around our machines. They will drag you in. I will not allow anything beyond 5 mil nitrile gloves around a machine that is plugged in to power. No cloth rags around the machine, either. I only take easily torn gloves and paper towels to the machines. I would rather lose a blue glove or a paper towel than a hand.

Wireaddict

Active User
Like everyone else here, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but glad you're on the mend, it could've been much worse. I nearly lost a big toe in a lawn mower accident nearly 25 years ago while mowing a ditch in the evening when the grass got damp, I pulled the mower up the side of the ditch & lost my footing. In a vain effort to keep my balance I pulled it up & over my foot & it got me but fortunately the blade was dull & the engine was only running at a fast idle. Still, my toe was nearly severed but the surgeon reattached it & I got to keep it thankfully. Never forget: it only takes an instant of inattention or carelessness to get injured.

davidpbest

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support. I worked up the courage to examine the result and here it is - I'm feeling a bit like Frankenstein.

IMG_6328.jpg

Let this be encouragement to you all to slow down and be safe.

jpfabricator

Active User
I'm sorry sorry for your accident. I too have done my stupidist stuff while tired. Heal fast and God bless.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

dieselshadow

Do you smell something?
That photo almost looks like it was Photoshopped. I know it isn't, but it just doesn't look right. They didn't do a bad job, nice and clean right at the joint. Looks like it will heal quickly that way. I'm sure it'll be sore for a while.

David, my hat is off to you for sharing and encouraging others to learn from your mistake.

I hope you are back in the shop soon.

markba633csi

Jerry Garcia had a missing fingertip on his picking (right) hand, next finger over I believe.
Cheers Dave
Mark S.

Catcam

Steel
Registered Member
This happened to me on Thursday night (two days ago) about midnight. Let this be a warning to others.

This was the setup - 3/4” end mill running at 1500 RPM. I had just squared off the end of the small stainless steel part, ready to do the same operation to the next part in the 8-part run. With the spindle still turning, I loosened the vise, reached around behind the cutter to remove the part (very stupid), and in a flash, my finger was grabbed by the clockwise-rotating end mill which pulled the finger through the 4mm slot between the side of the vise and the rotating end mill.

View attachment 227352

The result is shown below, taken in the ER about an hour later. If you're squimsh, DO NOT click on the photo. I lost a lot of blood and was pretty weak, thankfully my daughter was home and got me to the hospital pronto, not sure how I could have even called 911 alone. The end of my index finger was basically put through a meat grinder, and the last digit bone was crushed into pieces. The fingernail and tissue below it were badly severed and ultimately removed completely in the ER. Joints and tenons appear to be functioning, and nerve damage appears confined to the inner right side of that finger. Not clear what the longer term prognosis is, but I'm expecting the last digit on that finger will have to be amputated.

This was a stupid accident. I was tired, wanted to finish the job and got in a hurry. Lesson learned: turn off the machine before putting your hands anywhere close, and if tired or in a hurry, stop and come back tomorrow.

View attachment 227353
Thank you for the reminder. really appreciated.
I hope you mend well.

Bellinghamster

Swarf
Registered Member
So sorry to see that, but thansks for sharing and hoping it'll help others to be wary and careful. I had my foot go 'round between the chain and sprocket of a a conveyor belt at a rock quarry I worked at in highschool 30-ish years ago with similar results to my big toe (VERY fortunately that's all it got)... I've had the utmost respect for the "intake" side of rotating machinery ever since. The ER surgeon put the bits back together into a toe-ish shape and even stuck the nail bed back in for good measure saying it's unlikely it'd take hold. It did but doesn't grow quite right and I lose it about every other ski season. Toe hurts in cold weather, especially so if I stub it, but as someone else said above it was a good decision to try to save it. I still think often about how much worse it could have been.

markba633csi

Hi Bellinghamster; good memories of Bellingham, used to spend summers with my much loved (now departed) Grammy there. Cornwall park, etc.
Mark S.

Harris Creek Central

Active User
I too have to be added to the "Dumb Boy's Club" I was milling a piece of Aluminum using my Drill Press. After getting the first piece finished I realized I was far to short for the project. Taking another piece of material double or more in length I thought, Now, if I could just take a couple cuts with my table saw, I would make it much easier for the make shift drill press milling idea. Well The first couple of cuts worked great, but the third not so good. The blade caught the metal and sent it flying, and in my impulse to catch or hold the material that was no longer there, my finger came down on the saw blade Harveys Finger 3.jpg

This is the fingers at Emergency March 29, 2017.

If you care to see progress as of today April 14th go to this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kl2YLyKjkDff94wLySlq7IPnRZI9vR8IfQ/view?usp=sharing

It is healing nicely. It will be a few weeks before I get back to having anything that looks like a normal finger.

RJSakowski

I too have to be added to the "Dumb Boy's Club" I was milling a piece of Aluminum using my Drill Press. After getting the first piece finished I realized I was far to short for the project. Taking another piece of material double or more in length I thought, Now, if I could just take a couple cuts with my table saw, I would make it much easier for the make shift drill press milling idea. Well The first couple of cuts worked great, but the third not so good. The blade caught the metal and sent it flying, and in my impulse to catch or hold the material that was no longer there, my finger came down on the saw blade View attachment 231487

This is the fingers at Emergency March 29, 2017.

If you care to see progress as of today April 14th go to this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kl2YLyKjkDff94wLySlq7IPnRZI9vR8IfQ/view?usp=sharing

It is healing nicely. It will be a few weeks before I get back to having anything that looks like a normal finger.
As a teenager, forty-some stitches, thanks to table saw blade. Aside from one thumb being 1/8" shorter than the other, I survived intact. I also developed a healthy respect for a table saw.

scwhite

This happened to me on Thursday night (two days ago) about midnight. Let this be a warning to others.

This was the setup - 3/4” end mill running at 1500 RPM. I had just squared off the end of the small stainless steel part, ready to do the same operation to the next part in the 8-part run. With the spindle still turning, I loosened the vise, reached around behind the cutter to remove the part (very stupid), and in a flash, my finger was grabbed by the clockwise-rotating end mill which pulled the finger through the 4mm slot between the side of the vise and the rotating end mill.

View attachment 227352

The result is shown below, taken in the ER about an hour later. If you're squimsh, DO NOT click on the photo. I lost a lot of blood and was pretty weak, thankfully my daughter was home and got me to the hospital pronto, not sure how I could have even called 911 alone. The end of my index finger was basically put through a meat grinder, and the last digit bone was crushed into pieces. The fingernail and tissue below it were badly severed and ultimately removed completely in the ER. Joints and tenons appear to be functioning, and nerve damage appears confined to the inner right side of that finger. Not clear what the longer term prognosis is, but I'm expecting the last digit on that finger will have to be amputated.

This was a stupid accident. I was tired, wanted to finish the job and got in a hurry. Lesson learned: turn off the machine before putting your hands anywhere close, and if tired or in a hurry, stop and come back tomorrow.

View attachment 227353
Sorry to hear you might loose that finger .
I almost lost a finger in the lathe .
I had one of those long slender chips it was about 1/8 to 3/16 wide and five feet long . I did the same thing in a hurry and reached to move it off of the
Carriage hand wheel with my left hand . So I could crank the carriage back with my right hand .
That chip cought on the running chuck and in a split second it sucked 5 or 6 feet of 1/8 straight tool steel chip through my hand . Almost lost my index finger

5 7