Time to update my lathe

Grizzly has what looks like a awesome deal on the G4003G 12X36.
Original price at 3395.00
Reduced to 3250.00
Vets discount -162.50

Total 3087.50 + 295.00 ship
3382.50 to my door

Seems like a no brainer to me
What do you think
ed
Personally, I would not bother with the G4003G because the D1-5 spindle adds no real usefulness to the lathe because of the spindle bore size, and tooling costs a lot more for the D1-5, which is less common than the D1-4. IMO, rigidity is not a factor. In general, the extra "G" added to the model number does not deliver much additional functionality for the difference in price, and will increase the cost and availability of tooling that fits it.

A couple of years ago I was lathe shopping and settled on a G0709. Been very happy with the machine.

PM's 1440GS would probably be my choice now. It has the same universal QCGB which I love on the Grizzly. PM's machine has a better light, better spindle bearings, 2" instead of 1.57" spindle through hole, better head stock cover access on the back side and 3 HP vs. 2 HP motor. Cost is $5K for the PM (minus a 4-jaw chuck), G0709 is $4750.

I considered the G0750 until I read the manual on the QCGB. There are no less than 8 gear changes required on the quadrant to get the full inch thread range. Might as well have a manual gear box, plus you still don't get 27 tpi. If you thread 1/4"-20, 5/16"-18, 3/8"-16 or 1/2"-13, you're looking at 3 different gear changes (only 16 and 20 use the same gear set ups). Of course, it all depends on your projects; don't do a lot of single-point threading, the enclosed QCGB is nice over the comparable G4003G lathe.

Happy shopping!

Bruce

Didn't know about the D1-5 issues Tks Bob

I think that I am maybe being swayed by the Grizzly discounting

Don't think that I can afford to PM1440 & all of the new tooling that I will need to buy

Looks like I will be looking again at the PM 1236
Thoughts/comments

Tks
ed

With the cast iron base, I feel it's the best deal in the Asian lathe market. My 1440gs cost me over 7000 with upgraded chucks and shipping. That's a lot extra for 2" of swing and a 2" bore... and I do love my lathe.

The PM1440GS looks like a fine machine, highly capable, for a decent price, from a vendor with a good reputation. If you are not the type to be adding a lot of bells and whistles, I think it would be ready to go to work right out of the crate.

Do any of these include a taper attachment? Or is that a 1500$ upgrade on any of them?

Paul

Lots of information posted on the PM1236 in this (and other) forum and it is a very capable machine. When looking at cost, when you compare the PM 1236 to something like the 1440GS, one needs to consider that the 1236 with the preferred package (standard on the GS) and cast iron base comes out to a little over a 1K difference between the two machine. The 1440GS comes with cast iron base, QCTP with holders, built in spider, light, micrometer stop, foot brake, pull out chip tray, etc. so the difference is less than looking at the base price of each. Also only 2 change gears on the 1440GS and a wide threading range gearbox (if that is important to you). With either lathe, you will have similar add on cost for say DRO, centers, upgrading the chucks, etc. and this does need to be planned into the total budget or delayed to a later point. They all will do great work, but I also almost purchased a smaller lathe (1128, 1236) and for some of my current work I am already pushing my 1340 to its maximum cutting abilities. A tough decision, I give consideration to what your current use and possible future projects for the lathe would be. But another vote for the 1440GS if you can wait and swing it at a later point. At the 1440GS price point, it probably offers the most bang for the buck when looking at comparable new 1440 lathes available on the market.

Back