Time to update my lathe

outsider347

Active User
Registered
As stated time to swap out my 12x36 C Man /Atlas lathe. Nothing wrong with it, actually it runs great,
I'd like a 14x40 ish
Larger spindle bore
And certainly more robust
I'd like to be in the 4-5K price range for the lathe,

Suggestions?
tks Gents

Tks for you reply Jim
I was just looking over the PM site, and it looks like favorable comments from PM users on this site

I love old machine tools, but a part of me would like to just buy new for a change...

In your price range a few very nice lathes are available, PM1440GS, G0709, PM1440BV, PM1440E-LB, PM-1340GT. The G0709 is a bit of an icon in this class range and lots of positive reviews. The nice feature of the PM1440 models is the larger spindle bore of 2.0", they are D1-5 camlocks. The PM1440GS is single phase only, but has a nice universal gearbox. The inverter 1440BV is very reasonable for a variable speed model. You may want to consider the 1340GT if you are looking at a bit better fit and finish, but all will turn metal well. You may want to upgrade/consider other chucks and do some bundling which may reduce costs. A DRO is also helpful, doesn't need to be anything fancy.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-1440gs-or-pm1340gt-lathe-or-maybe-a-pm1440gt.57825/

If you want the new car smell without the sticker price, the pm1236 with the cast iron base is hard to beat. The pm1440gs is certainly a new machine, I have one and enjoy it very much, but 2" more of swing may not be worth the preminium...
Just my thoughts on this.

Rich

I have narrowed my search to
PM 1236 / preferred pkg / CI base
or
Grizzly G0750G

Both pretty close $$$
The only significant equpt. difference that I found `was the PM 5 tool holders

Talked to Griz customer service today to ask if he had any idea if the lathe might be on sale soon. The CS rep of course had no idea, but did say that holiday sale flier is due out around Thanksgiving.

Any comments / suggestions from others that researched these fine lathes

Tks Gents
ed

I looked into the G0750G when I was looking for a lathe years ago, not a lot of information on this model but looks very comparable to the PM machine. Looking at machine specification does not tell the whole story. I am not sure that the PM 1236 or G0750G would be a significant improvement over what you have unless your current lathe is worn out. Given the specs you outlined, I think the PM 1440GS would be a significant upgrade and you would have the larger spindle bore, otherwise you might consider the PM 1236GT. You can get a bit lost in the numbers/comparisions, I did that when I was buying my lathe and ended up with a 1340GT. At least for me, hands on experience was very different then what I read into the specs and features.

Just based on user feedback/warranty issues and length of warranty, I would think PM might be a better choice. My opinion is based on user responses and addressing warranty problems.

I just bought the PM-1236 with CI base. It's solid at #1400. I'm still in the process of getting it cleaned and leveled in. I had a few questions after delivery and Matt was very quick to respond and took care of the issue that day.
Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision.

If you have the space imho go for the biggest lathe you can afford! You won't regret it, the scope of work/hobby machining will increase dramatically! Keep the Atlas for light/small work, look at 16"x40 second hand with tooling! New paint is nice but used in great shape should give you more bang for the bucks. My 2cents.

Grizzly has what looks like a awesome deal on the G4003G 12X36.
Original price at 3395.00
Reduced to 3250.00
Vets discount -162.50

Total 3087.50 + 295.00 ship
3382.50 to my door

Seems like a no brainer to me
What do you think
ed

Back