Time to add a mill. Knee or vertical?

At $2k for both machines the dealer badges don't bother me at all. Actually I think the fact that both machines originally came from the same dealer add je ne sais quoi. :)

I used the lathe today to ream an adapter I made to install 2" and 4" travel dial indicators for lathe carriage travel measurement. Also to polish some rust off a couple parts for my "new" mortising machine.

Well, the search has ended. Now to figure out what I have done. Hopefully I will be able to drag it home next weekend.

You can't get away that easy - What did you buy??

I was planning on posting pictures when I had it in my driveway. The pics in the ad are not very good.

I broke every bit of advise I gave myself save one; Don't buy too small. I had resigned myself to a Bridgeport-esque machine, and was just going to have to deal with a one ton space hog. The problem, here anyway, is having "Bridgeport" cast in the side adds $1000 above what it's worth. I watched scrap iron grade machines sell for $1400 and untooled 1Js @ $3500. I was just about to pull the trigger on trucking one in from the rustbelt, was down to figuring the local moving logistics. Saturday morning, bored at work trolling the web, a machine appeared on Craigslist. I researched it for about half an hour, called the seller, grabbed my stash-o-cash, and done bought it.

Cincinnati Toolmaster 1B. Came with a vise, starter set of tooling, and a RPC. Hopefully it will stop raining by the weekend and we can go trailer it home. I'm still scheming on the last twenty feet of the move.

00i0i_gcRgaEbs7j8_1200x900.jpg

And yes, I was well aware of the Monoset collet situation before I bought it.

Back