Tig Welder

On the main diagram, T1 shows to have a 230 primary. The additional diagram is a supplement where it came factory wired for 460. Probably a different transformer. Before getting too excited about it, I'd get a price on a replacement T1. Yes, probably plenty of money, but cheaper than a whole new welder. Check that PC1 has the same inputs as shown. I would presume so, since there is no other schematic.

FM most likely means fan motor. If I had it I'd seriously consider rewinding the primary for 240.
Could you please elaborate on this? I've done a little bit of research but it sounded like I would need a thicker wire (they say it's magnetic?) And half as many windings. Does that basically cover it?

On the mail diagram, T1 shows to have a 230 primary. The additional diagram is a suppliment where it came factory wired for 460. Probably a different transformer. Before getting too excited about it, I'd get a price on a replacement T1. Yes, probably plenty of money, but cheaper than a whole new welder. Check that PC1 has the same inputs as shown. I would presume so, since there is no other schematic.
From what I've seen it looks to be about $700 . Would a step down transformer used in reverse work? They seem to be a lot more affordable. Thank you

A step-down transformer in reverse would work. Be careful working with 480. It is more than twice as dangerous as 240.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've done a little bit of research but it sounded like I would need a thicker wire (they say it's magnetic?) And half as many windings. Does that basically cover it?
I'd make the existing winding into two paralleled windings. Exactly how I did it would depend on what I saw when took it apart.

Using a stepup transformer is one way to go, but like John says, extra care around 480. It's not forgiving. I'm not really sure how that transformer would be to be sized, with out thinking about it some. You know the demand of the machine, but the transformers I have seen are rated for stepdown use. I suppose energy is energy and the same ratings would apply either way.

I'd make the existing winding into two paralleled windings. Exactly how I did it would depend on what I saw when took it apart.
So I could actually use the same wire, just double it up. That sounds interesting. I may look into this more. Thank you.

Using a stepup transformer is one way to go, but like John says, extra care around 480. It's not forgiving. I'm not really sure how that transformer would be to be sized, with out thinking about it some. You know the demand of the machine, but the transformers I have seen are rated for stepdown use. I suppose energy is energy and the same ratings would apply either way.

Transformers aren't as efficient in "reverse" as they are in the way they're designed to be used. It has to do with the magnetic flux around the core and the position of the coils.

Back