Tig Welder

sk1nner

Active User
Registered
I was given a Miller Econotig from work. It's said to work good. The only problem is that it runs on 460v single phase, 33 amps of it. I (obviously) don't have 460 in my garage. I removed the cover and inside was this diagram 20151106_190520-1.jpgI'm no electrition so I need some help figuring if I can convert it to 220 single phase. If this makes sense to anyone please, any info you can lend me is greatly appreciated. As always, thank you in advance.

The drawings themselves don't give an easy solution, but if you open the welder up and look at the main transformer itself, you might find extra wires or terminals coming out of it. If so, it's just a case of moving the second incoming wire to the appropriate terminal. You will be drawing quite a bit more current at 220V, so I'd plan on running a 50 amp welder outlet.

An easy alternative would be to source a 220 - 460 transformer, but it would need to be around 20 KVA to give you full use of the welder. And again, that would need to be fed by at least 50 amps.

If you do find extra taps on the transformer, post a picture so we can better advise you.

I disn't see any extra wires inside, bUT i can taka a nother look. What I wonder is in the diagram I see there is a circle with FM inside if it. What does that mean? I calculated it out and I would need a 15180VA. Do you think a 15KVA transformer would be adequate? I've looked on ebay and I see a whole lot of 460 to 220 step down transformers, those can be used backwards to increase the voltage right? Thanks for the info

is there a sticker on outside with voltage in options

Unfortunately no. It says 460 single phase 33 amps

If you was able to set it for 220 it would take like 66 amps to run it. I think you might put it on E-bay. It is not for a ham and egger.

You would need 15180 watts if it was a resistive load, but, since it is a highly inductive load, the VA should be rated higher.

That's why it was free. If it were easily converted to 220V single phase, you never would've had a shot at it unless you're the only one that works at the shop.

I disn't see any extra wires inside, bUT i can taka a nother look. What I wonder is in the diagram I see there is a circle with FM inside if it. What does that mean?
FM most likely means fan motor. If I had it I'd seriously consider rewinding the primary for 240.

Back