Tig Foot Pedal Potentiometer Value Question

There are two types of pots. There is a linear taper and an audio taper. Linear taper is just that. Audio taper is what is used for a volume control. It ramps up faster and then slows the progression of change. The reason for this is while it SOUNDS linear, it's not. If the builder didn't know this, and sold you one with an audio taper pot, it might explain some things.

I guess some of the early chinese tig welder add on pedals were modified guitar fx pedals. Thanks for the resources.

Hadn't thought about that, but you may well be right. It would not surprise me a bit. If I could get out to the shop I'd check the pedal on my little Eastwood. I use the control on the torch most of the time. I'd rather get used to both, but figure the torch control would be more universal. Used to run a nice Miller at a place I worked and seated, the foot pedal just felt right. One of the best, of not the best, TIG guys I know has his shop set up to always TIG standing. The table is high and he uses the torch control exclusively. But then, he does a LOT of truck tank and trailer repair, so he is all over......laying down, crouched, hanging by his toenails, etc....foot pedal wouldn't work for him at all when he is doing that sort of work.

Anyway, I'm going to get into my pedal when I can just so I know what kind of pot is uses. If you haven't solved yours by then, maybe information from mine will add something.

We still don't know how your original pedal is wired, but I'm guessing the pots are in series. I made a drawing how it most likely is wired- check your original. You need to see what voltage range is at pin 4.tigpedal1x.jpg

Back