Thumb Screws From A Combination Of Materials

I'm wondering if the black oxide is the problem even with clean threads. Normally Crazy glue or red loctite should do the job. The black oxide might be acting as a release agent. When you separated the glued parts did the threads come out clean?

LOCTITE TAKES A FEW DAYS TO TOTALLY WORK

I have made thumb screws as the op using black oxide set screws and red Loctite with no issues. I clean with acetone. If you don't get all the tepping fluid out, it won't stick. Also let setup 24 hrs.

Sounds like I just didn't get it clean enough. I very well could have had some junk on there. Thanks for all the great advice, guys.

I also use the red Loctite, and agree it can take 2-3 days to set. I sometimes accelerate it by putting it in a warm oven (~200F). Parts need to be clean and free of contamination, there are certain types that fill voids better. Never had it fail, recently made an aluminum micrometer lathe stop with a steel thread bushing, which I secured in place with the red Loctite. They do have some high temperature variants, but I have used heat in the past to separate parts secured with standard red Loctite.
Lathe Micrometer sstop.jpg

Use a socket head cap screw instead and press it in.I receive this info from another member here---kroll

Back