Three DRO questions (just want to confirm)

Hi Tom
I read on another forum that that could be an issue without some kind of spring. The thread was from 2006 so maybe this is resolved with modern DRO’s?
This is getting to be a lot more than three questions.

That really only applies to CNC machines where you need zero backlash in the leadscrews. By their very nature, a scale on the table automatically compensates for backlash on the readout. In other words, the DRO is reading that actual position of the table rather than the rotation of the leadscrew.

One of the great advantages of a DRO is it is reading absolute position on the machine and therefore impervious too any lost motion issues like backlash. Another advantage is to be able to set up multiple reference points to perform various machining operations.

Using a spring or some other means of controlling backlash will not improve positional accuracy when a DRO is installed. It may improve surface finish by reducing chatter though.

For instance, I will want to drill five holes on a 1" bolt circle with the center located 4" from the back and 5" from the left edge. My 0,0 point will be located at the left back corner. I move to position 5",-4" and set my readout to incremental 0,0. I then locate the positions of my five holes and drill. If I have a bolt circle feature it becomes even easier. When finished, I go back to the absolute reading and continue with my other operations.

Many don't bother with a scale cover although I would personally recommend using them. With a little forethought, it isn't difficult to protect the scales.It doesn't take much for protection. Some thin sheet metal, a piece of plastic sheeting or even some rubber sheeting will do. The z axis doesn't really need any cover because there is very seldom anything flying up there which would damage the scale. However, I have always installed them on my DRO installs.

I put Igaging dro on my last Burke mill. what a difference it makes especially on an older looser mill. I did add a Touch DRO Blue tooth read out for both x and y and they enable a lot of other features like bolt holes and offsets. Sold the mill right after the install and put glass scales on my new to me mill and saved the Touch DRO for my lathe with igaging type readouts mounted with no bolt holes hard drive magnets and other neodymium magnets for securing to bed.

If I install a DRO like iGaging onto my micro mill, the operation is such that I manually spin the axis wheel while the DRO reads out the travel, correct?
So basically all I would be purchasing is the luxery of not having to count any more?
Secondly, does a DRO greatly increase productivity time?
Well it depends on whether it's just a readout, or a calculating DRO. If it calculates, it does bolt hole patterns, center finding. etc. So it depends on what you are talking about. The Touch DRO is a full featured DRO, I am considering it myself.

DRO is wonderful. Say you have to take a piece out to inspect it for some reason. You can place a stop on the vise jaw, take the piece out, inspect it, put it back in, and go right where you left off almost instantly. It's so much more accurate than hand turning the wheel and so much quicker.

Well it depends on whether it's just a readout, or a calculating DRO. If it calculates, it does bolt hole patterns, center finding. etc. So it depends on what you are talking about. The Touch DRO is a full featured DRO, I am considering it myself.
I followed the plans for making the touch dro but would have never got it programed correctly without some real nice people on the form to guide me through the hole procedure. there is a Blu DRO that is sold as ready to use for a reasonable amount that does the same thing .

I built one Touch DRO board for my 3in1 machine and it works pretty good, I bought a premade Touch DRO board for my PM727 mill and the premade board is definitely more stable as far as electrical noise. For me dollar wise and the accuracy level I need, Touch DRO works fine. If I was going to use glass scales or such I think it would be hard to beat one of the import DRO kits.

on my bridgeport I went to the glass scales from china, price was not much different than the Igaging set up at about $300 for all 3 axis. and works perfect

+1 on going the China direct route. I got a great full featured name brand DRO for less than half the price it would cost from a US based supplier.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eas...32269307525.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.uswa9h
All you are doing is cutting out the middleman.

Eddy

your purchase and information is what got me to purchase the same way with a good experience. I was following you in a post. Thanks it worked out good.

Back