Three arm banjo

Chester

Active User
Registered
Hi, my banjo broke on my atlas 10 54H lathe. My question is how do I get it off with out doing more damage? This is has two arm gears holder and a arm to hold it to lathe. Thanks Chester

Lester,

It might help if you attached a photo of the left end of your H10-54 showing the banjo and gears so that we have points that we could refer to. And can see where it broke.

Robert D.

Lester,

It might help if you attached a photo of the left end of your H10-54 showing the banjo and gears so that we have points that we could refer to. And can see where it broke.

Robert D.

Hi, I am sorry for no pictures, I have a I Pad a can not find a way to do this. My problem is getting the banjo off the forward reverse gears. There is a molded woodruff key on one end and does not have pin on the other side in the gear box that I can see. I hope you can understand what I am saying, I know a picture would really help. Please any help or suggestion I will try. Thanks for viewing and hope to hear from you, Chester

Can't answer your original question, but I'm also using an IPad, so I can help with the issue of uploading pics. I am using the free app Tapatalk to navigate this forum. First, get the pics saved to your IPad Camara Roll, e-mail, text message, Bluetooth, or whatever. Then, while responding to the post, click on the "hills and sun" icon at the bottom of the open reply. Click on "Camara roll", select the image, click "upload", choose image size. That should do it. As a test here is a pic of my new toy, I'm new to the forum and machining tools, just trying to help. ynajapar.jpg

Last edited:
Can't answer your original question, but I'm also using an IPad, so I can help with the issue of uploading pics. I am using the free app Tapatalk to navigate this forum. First, get the pics saved to your IPad Camara Roll, e-mail, text message, Bluetooth, or whatever. Then, while responding to the post, click on the "hills and sun" icon at the bottom of the open reply. Click on "Camara roll", select the image, click "upload", choose image size. That should do it. As a test here is a pic of my new toy, I'm new to the forum and machining tools, just trying to help. ynajapar.jpg

Hi, thanks I will try this in the next couple of days, glad you know how to do this, Chester

Hi! This is the broken banjo still attached to the forward/reverse box. The woodruff key is preventing me from getting the banjo off, the key is cast in. On the other side I cannot find a pin or something to remove the gear. Does anyone know how to do this. Thanks Chester.

pic3.jpg pic2.jpg pic1.jpg

The key is NOT cast in, it is locked in place with dried oils, dirt etc. take a sharp cold chisel or a wood chisel and pry one end up a bit and then a vise grip can grab it to finish pulling it out. After that you will naturally slide the broken banjo off the gear box stem. You may have to tap it a bit with your chisel but it will come out.
Pierre

Hi, I have done some hitting, but not real hard, worried about damage. I have never seen a key this hard to get out. I have look at this setup over and over, and you are right the only way this comes apart is to remove that key. I going to do as you stated, thanks, Chester

The key is NOT cast in, it is locked in place with dried oils, dirt etc. take a sharp cold chisel or a wood chisel and pry one end up a bit and then a vise grip can grab it to finish pulling it out. After that you will naturally slide the broken banjo off the gear box stem. You may have to tap it a bit with your chisel but it will come out.
Pierre

You are right, I use a pin punch and chisel, with rocking and lifting with chisel it came out,(not too easy). As much I hit with chisel before I could not understand what was going on, that why I came to people who know. Know you did!!! Thanks so much, Chester

Last edited:
Chester,

Sorry that I was tied up most of the day but you appear to have found the solution with help from Pierre. I was going to suggest that you download the 10F illustrated parts manual, which would have answered your questions I think. However, to do that I guess you would need something other than an I-phone or pad or ? Anyway, the woodruff key seems to have been the key (pun intended). If you dinged it up getting it out, they are fortunately dirt cheap.

Robert D.

Back