Threading question for my pm1127.

go4shoot

Registered
Registered
I need to thread a 1.5mm thread on my pm1127 lathe but I can't find what number I should use on my threading dial. Anyone have the answer? Anyone have a thread dial chart for the 1127?

Without looking up specs I'll put this out there.
If the lathe has an imperial lead screw then when threading metrics you leave the half nuts engaged and reverse the lathe to get back to your starting point.

rgray is correct. If you have an imperial lead screw then the threading dial is useless for metric threads. You must leave the half nuts engaged while threading, though there is a workaround for that...

Check your owners manual but if you don't have one you can get it on the PM website. Page 18 states that you must leave the leadscrew engaged at all times for metric threading. If your not sure what gears and settings to use check out the threading chart on page 27.

The previous responses are correct. I just did some 1.5 mm threading on my 1127 over the last week. You will leave the half nuts engaged and then turn off the power when you are coming up to your stopping point. Then you will back out the cross slide, reverse the motor, run the carriage back to your starting point, then set the motor back to forward, move the cross slide back to zero, dial in your infeed on the compound, and take another cut. This is also what someone without a threading dial would do to cut threads.

The previous responses are correct. I just did some 1.5 mm threading on my 1127 over the last week. You will leave the half nuts engaged and then turn off the power when you are coming up to your stopping point. Then you will back out the cross slide, reverse the motor, run the carriage back to your starting point, then set the motor back to forward, move the cross slide back to zero, dial in your infeed on the compound, and take another cut. This is also what someone without a threading dial would do to cut threads.

That's a lot of steps that one (me..LOL) could make a mistake on.

What do I need to look for in a lathe to be able to cut metric AND standard threads?
Thanks in advance

DrAsus

You will need to determine if the lathe has either a quick change gear box capable of doing both types of threading, or if there are change gears that will enable the lathe to do both. Many of the larger machines may require a single gear change to do metric. For the smaller lathes like the 1127, it is done by changing all of the gears per the charts that come with the machines. Also, you need to decide if you want a metric machine or an SAE / English machine. My 1127 is a SAE / English machine and it uses the 63-tooth gear to convert to metric. I just have to install the proper gears per the chart on the machine.

You will need to determine if the lathe has either a quick change gear box capable of doing both types of threading, or if there are change gears that will enable the lathe to do both. Many of the larger machines may require a single gear change to do metric. For the smaller lathes like the 1127, it is done by changing all of the gears per the charts that come with the machines. Also, you need to decide if you want a metric machine or an SAE / English machine. My 1127 is a SAE / English machine and it uses the 63-tooth gear to convert to metric. I just have to install the proper gears per the chart on the machine.
Thanks. I have never cut metric threads....Only standard and ACME. When I get a machine, I want to be able to cut any thread I want.

DrAsus

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back