Threading On A Turrett Lathe.

When I was desperately searching for a nice lathe at a reasonable price I came across a Craig'sList add for a local seller with a Warner & Swasey No. 4 turret lathe for $850. Seller spent over an hour trying to tell me that you could single point thread on it. I didn't buy it and am glad I continued my search. Your lathe is good for a lot of things, threading isn't one of them. Great machine to have but for general use you may want to shop around for a "standard" lathe. 2 lathes are better than just 1 :)
Just for fun here is a photo of the W & S #4 that I passed on.
W & S Lathe $850 007.JPG

Warner Swasey did make a optional quick change threading box for the 4A and 5A turret lathes. I don't remember how the lead screw/half nut works on the carriage. It was offered on the "oilfield" setup. The QCGB would only cut certain threads such as 3-1/2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11-1/2 TPI. These are common thread pitches found on pipe.

I haven't run a serial # check yet but it does appear pretty much identical to the one pictured in the original parts catalog that came with it. It does have a half nut lever (so I assume it actually has half nuts inside the apron- haven't run it yet). The gearbox chart lists all the same rates/thread pitches as my 14-1/2 does. Several of you suggested threading "straight in" which didn't register with me until just now... DUH! The simplest solution is always the right one, thanks again all! Not sure if the pic will work or not... here goesSB16TL.jpg

That is a fine looking lathe!
From here it looks like there isn't a reason why you can't cut threads with it.

Wow, that's the real deal. Any tooling for it?

Not to speak of, just the original quick change tool post & a hand full of 5C collets. Fortunately I have some tooling from my 14-1/2 that should work fine. Probably have to make some tooling for the turret but that's part of the fun!
I re-powered my 14-1/2 with a single phase motor but I think I'll try a phase convertor on this one. I don't like the idea of loosing 1/3 of the power though, sounds like a rotary convertor might be the best choice. Still have some research to do.

You don't absolutely need a compound to cut threads. I've noticed that some of the machinists in other countries never use the compound to thread, even if the lathe has one.
Chris

Still need half nuts and the QC box must have thread ratios. Are they there? Don't assume jut because it has a QC box that it will thread. Who would want to change gears on a production machine? Make sure they are marked for TPI or MOD, and that there are half nuts.

Any chance of a pic of this lathe?
The SB turret lathe was a modification of their standard engine lathe, so it just has a bed turret and cross slide added to it. It would be easy enough to attach a compound rest to the Tee slotted cross slide if desired, or find a standard cross slide to replace it and find a tailstock to replace the bed turret. Obviously, the SB turret lathes are quite light compared with their dedicated cousins, the purpose built turret lathes; they (the SBs) are not intended for heavy work, both from the standpoints of ridgidity and power.

Back