Threading dial

westsailpat

Registered
Registered
On my Craftsman 101 . 07301 6" the threading dial or is it called a counter ? Well anyhow mine is hard to turn , I'm sure because of hardened grease . So question is how does it come apart ? It seems to be pressed together . Thanks .

Seems to me I made some kind of a split collar support to go loosely around the housing but give a firm support on the gear face. Then I drove the central piece out of the gear using a pin punch. Worked fine enough. Just bear in mind that when the gear comes off the shaft all clocking against the lead screw is lost, so you may need to mark the orientations beforehand or shim the housing after to have it line up like it did prior to taking it apart.

-frank

This is my SB Heavy 10 thread dial after I took it apart to clean and paint.

In my thread dial, the gear has a set screw. Rotate the gear until you see this, then unscrew and then the shaft with the dial should come out or may need to be pushed out due to the old grease.

Southbend_threading_dial_cleaned_3490.jpg

As indicated above, the Atlas 6" threading dial assembly is made up of four parts, body, shaft, dial and pinion. The dial and the pinion are pressed onto opposite ends of the shaft. See the 1950 618 parts list Page 5 for a drawing of an almost disassembled one. Take it apart by machining a receiver pocket into an aluminum block and pressing the gear off of the shaft.

However, re-assembly is a bit of a PITA to get the gear in the proper position relative to the dial. So I would first try soaking it for a few days in a cup of Varsol, turning the gear every time that you walk by. That should free it up. Try to measure the shaft end float first or as soon as you can turn it with your fingers. If endfloat is less than about 0.005", that could be part of your problem.

Thanks everyone , I have been soaking it for about a week in Liquid Wrench ( thanks for the tip on Varsol ) and that got it moving pretty good . On close inspection I found that the dial face was not sitting parallel with the body so it would turn and then bind . I was able to work the low end up , so i'm calling it good . No need to disassemble , I now plan on soaking in some light oil .

OK. Someone may have dropped something on it.

Back