Threading away from the chuck on my lathe...

What brand/model of proximity switch are you using?

I've thought about trying the backwards threading technique, but I use laydown inserts and would need to get a left-handed toolholder and seat shims to reverse the helix angle. Full-profile laydown inserts are a joy to use.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I never tried it yet but see the potential and want to try threading a 60 degree thread on my lathe but use the carriage moving away from the chuck. My question is, if I have the compound set at 29.5 degrees when I thread the regular way, do I leave it set the same for the "away from" the chuck method? Or do I need to switch the compound to 30.5 degrees?
Thanks! :applause 2:

The 29.5 degrees, either way, just makes the tool cut one side or the other, if the compound is used. When I went to inverted threading, with HSS, I left the compound in the regular position, 5 o'clock, and it works quite well. I have been very happy with my threads this way, left and right-handed. That might be why it hasn't been mentioned in the videos you've seen, because it is irrelevant and the author didn't think to says anything.

Chris

Back