Threading away from the chuck on my lathe...

schemer

Active User
Registered
I never tried it yet but see the potential and want to try threading a 60 degree thread on my lathe but use the carriage moving away from the chuck. My question is, if I have the compound set at 29.5 degrees when I thread the regular way, do I leave it set the same for the "away from" the chuck method? Or do I need to switch the compound to 30.5 degrees?
Thanks! :applause 2:

You would feed in with the cross slide so the compound won't matter. Or swing the compound with the dial on the head stock side. And run spindle in reverse.

I have seen people do it on Youtube, and they make it look easy. I don't recall any ever mentioning how they set the compound.

I don't think it matters for either way of threading, The theory is you take the heavy cut on one side of the thread, and the half degree is to keep the other side of the thread cut clean. Grab a scrap piece, and give it a shot both ways.

Ignore the compound, there is no good reason to worry about the approach angle.

On the rare occasion that I am called upon to modify a stock right hand threaded fastener I turn the spindle in reverse and cut on the backside, a boring bar works well for this. One must remember that all X axis moves are negative however.

Works a charm.
i-LMDJwHL-X3.jpg

Ignore the compound, there is no good reason to worry about the approach angle.

On the rare occasion that I am called upon to modify a stock right hand threaded fastener I turn the spindle in reverse and cut on the backside, a boring bar works well for this. One must remember that all X axis moves are negative however.

Works a charm.

Now that is an interesting way to do it. I may need to get a boring bar threading tool from Mesa Tool and try that.
Thanks for the info. :)

You would feed in with the cross slide so the compound won't matter. Or swing the compound with the dial on the head stock side. And run spindle in reverse.

Yeah, I have always used the compound method but it seems I should try the cross slide as it sure does seem like it would be easier. I have a Grizzly G4003G so I think is will be stout enough to do what I need even if I have to take smaller cuts to do it. I just wanted to try higher speeds for better finish and use a carbide instead of HSS.

I have seen people do it on Youtube, and they make it look easy. I don't recall any ever mentioning how they set the compound.

I don't think it matters for either way of threading, The theory is you take the heavy cut on one side of the thread, and the half degree is to keep the other side of the thread cut clean. Grab a scrap piece, and give it a shot both ways.

Youtube always makes things look easy. I know you have to be focused when trying this reverse method as the brain is wired for always doing it the other way. I will definitely do some testing. My 2 1/4 - 8 TPI threads were a little rough so when I start on my 3rd attempt I wanted it to be "the charm". :)

Back