Threading a cylinder

Cweav34

Registered
Registered
I was threading a cylinder and was supposed to use a 16eg but used a 16un thread insert will it hurt anything and what is the difference in the two inserts?

I was threading a cylinder and was supposed to use a 16eg but used a 16un thread insert will it hurt anything and what is the difference in the two inserts?

One is Metric (mm) and the other US STD (TPI)

I don't understand the word gland (being silly viking here...).

Sorry it is a hydraulic cylinder and the gland is the insert that the push rod come threw. It is threaded with 16eg and I threaded the tube with 16un.

I'm unclear about the "16eg". But a ISO metric thread profile is exactly the same as a SAE or UN thread profile. Both are 60 degree and the difference is of course the major diameter and the pitch diameter of the thread as well of course the number of threads per inch/mm.

How does the new thread fit with it's counter part? If it binds or there is lash and wiggle, the strength will be severely reduced.

16eg is capable of multiple thread pitches. I think "g" is 8-14 tpi if memory serves. 16un should be the exact profile for a specific tpi.
Dave

It all fit very well it just made me nervous to have two different threads mating.

I hand grinded all my threading tools
Works ever time there so little deferent from on 60 Deg threads
If this was a Acme, Square or Whitworth Threads you need to worry.
When I use on 60 Deg is .002 to .004 radius The formula for metric for radius in P x 0.0633 maximum.
This also know as tool wear
Try this book for more information on threads (Guide to World Screw Threads) it has most

Dave

It all fit very well it just made me nervous to have two different threads mating.

Back