Threaded spindles

willthedancer

Registered
Registered
Don't be lke me and fail to notice that your threaded spindle nose is British 55 degree Whitworth Thread, and cut all your backing plates with 60 degree USS.

That's only 2.5 degrees per thread flank. I buy off on threads with that much error in angles occasionally that hold far more loading than you could ever think about and are about the same size in diameter and pitch. If you ever put 15,000 ft/lbs of torque into the thread the flanks will bend and match up and break out every time. Run it! you'll never see the difference in use, ever! Ken

Actually, it creates issues now. I have periodic vibration of a specific frequency on each revolution of the spindle. Each chuck has its own frequency due to the length of moment from the grip point to the end thread in contact. The threads have deformed in my adapters over the last few years, and vibration has become a serious issue. Can't even part off without having things go badly. Light cuts in steel only as well.

This is why I am making a new spindle as mentioned in another thread. Easier to modernize the lathe than scrap or weld up and repair the chuck backing plates. The spindle and it's bearings are tired anyway. Camlock spindle nose time.

Have y'all noticed that getting technical specs on lathe spindle noses is a difficult process?

Back