Thread sizes for DR11 feed screws?

thenrie

Active User
Registered
Can anyone tell me the correct thread sizes for the lead screw, compound feed screw, and cross slide screw for a DR 11?

I get the following, but I want to be sure before I start thinking about buying taps for making new feed nuts and repairing the half nuts:

Lead Screw: 3/4 -8 LH Acme
Cross slide screw: 3/4 -10 RH Acme
Compound screw: 3/8 X 10 LH Acme

On ebay I'm seeing some taps with a designation NA2G, etc, and I don't know what that means. I suspect it describes different thread depths or profiles. What do I need for the DR11?

Tony

NA2G is a class of fit, do you have a machinist handbook? It will explain the classes of fit. If you need, I can look it up for you, you can call me or email me 801 388 3768 Tim

(class 2g 3/4" x6tpi) 3/4x8 is nonstandard but similar, Class 5g is used in places for minimal backlash and requires fit up (lapping) , any class of internal thread can be used with any class of external thread as long as backlash is taken into consideration.
major diameter .7700-.7900,
minor diameter .5833-.5916
pitch diameter .6667-.6841

2g pitch diameter= min .6598 max .6424
5g pitch diameter= min .6667 max .6620

Ah! On comes the light. I guess I need to start buying some reference books.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the diameters and thread counts? Did I get those right for the screws? What grade would be appropriate for the screws I mentioned? Better said, what taps should I be looking for to make new feed nuts for my lathe?

Don't overthink it, just get what is commercially available for screws and taps. My funds are limited right now and I am going to do my 6x26 mill first since it is not together. I need to get my lathe set up for 220 and some tooling for it to be useable. The 110v on the motor is making it real hard for the motor to start, its that or a bad capacitor.

Machinist handbook from amazon or the bag will explain a lot if you are an engineer, the Connelly book is also essential.

Working in Provo? I hope you are prepared for religious conservatism, its the most conservative in the state based on population. Tim

Ah! On comes the light. I guess I need to start buying some reference books.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the diameters and thread counts? Did I get those right for the screws? What grade would be appropriate for the screws I mentioned? Better said, what taps should I be looking for to make new feed nuts for my lathe?

Thought I'd better post a correction. Turns out I got my LH and RH backwards on the screw specs above.

Lead Screw: 3/4X10 RH Acme
Cross slide: 3/4X10 LH Acme
Compound: 3/8X10 RH Acme

For the DR 11.

Back