Thread size on DTM 65A QCTP?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does anyone know the thread size for this post? In the picture. I have the DTM 65A but not the post so need to make one.

Is this one compatible to AXA tool holders?

Yes AXA.

I bought it as new old stock never used. Didn't have the threaded post but I don't need it because the machine I want to put it on has a fixed threaded post and no T slot. So I need to make an adapter with DTM thread on the outside and my post thread on the inside. Post is metric 10X1.25 so it will easily fit inside.

Just need the thread specs for the DTM.

Hey, that's my pic!

Unfortunately I no longer have it but the TP65A post is 9/16". I don't remember what thread pitch it is. My DTM catalog says it's 9/16" as well but also doesn't list the thread pitch. Since you have the TP & now you know the thread diameter, all you have to do is use a thread pitch gauge to figure it out. Please let us know as well.

DTM made very nice QCTPs. I really wanted to keep that one but I had no use for it. Congrats on owning a DTM!

EDIT: Do you have the mounting nut that goes on top of the TP? The DTMs had a different design than the Aloris. Since the creators of DTM used to work for Aloris they had to make changes. One of them was this part. The mounting nut instead of being just a nut like on the Aloris was a long sleeve with female threads at the end that extended to the base of the TP. That's why the TP nut post is so short & is why you don't actually see the post through the nut on top.

If you have that nut/sleeve then you can measure the pitch. I just automatically assumed you had it when I posted. Here's a pic of the bottom.

IMG_5407.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, that's my pic!

Unfortunately I no longer have it but the TP65A post is 9/16". I don't remember what thread pitch it is. My DTM catalog says it's 9/16" as well but also doesn't list the thread pitch. Since you have the TP & now you know the thread diameter, all you have to do is use a thread pitch gauge to figure it out. Please let us know as well.

DTM made very nice QCTPs. I really wanted to keep that one but I had no use for it. Congrats on owning a DTM!

Yea, I was taking some pics and getting ready to upload but realized your pic was same tool and had the threaded part I needed in same pic.

I have an asian AXA QCTP and saw this DTM on eBay without the T slot post which I didn't need.

So what are the thread pitch options for 9/16? For example 1/2 would be most likely 13 or 20. If I had it narrowed to a couple pitches I would be that much closer than putting all my pitch gauges in.

Yes it has the top nut. I am hoping not to have to take it apart because of the seals. If I just got the lower post diameter and thread pitch I would be good t go.

Ah I see. Common pitches for 9/16" is 12 & 18 TPI. If it is a common pitch I would guess that it's 18, that doesn't look like 12 TPI to me. But 9/16" is also available in 14, 16, 20, 24, & 32 TPI.

Since we know 9/16" is the diameter, using the pic above you could get an idea of what the pitch is. Let me check to see if I have any better pics of the post threads.

So what are the thread pitch options for 9/16? For example 1/2 would be most likely 13 or 20. If I had it narrowed to a couple pitches I would be that much closer than putting all my pitch gauges in.
A simple test is worth thousands of expert opinions. You have the exact thread that you need to match. Do it!

Ok, I don't have any other better pics. I don't remember there being seals for that nut sleeve but it's been years since i've had my hands on it so I'm jot sure. Does it have resistance if you try to pull it out of the TP body?

I blew up the pic & used a screen calipers program. From what I got it looks to be 24 TPI but don't take my word for it, I could have totally fubar'd that. You should have enough room to reach from the bottom with a thread pitch gauge & get a rough measurement. Stick a 24 leaf in there & see how it looks/feels. Your best bet of course would be to pull the sleeve out of the body if you can.

It checks out as an 18 tpi. I'll know for sure tomorrow because 9/16 18 is standard for car lug nuts and studs. So I'll get a stud and that may give me the OD and I would just have to drill and thread the inside, clean up the final size and have it made.

Back