Thread cutting

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone , I'm new here just joined up. I am by know means a machinist however I own a large And milling machine etc .I have only ever used the machines for basic machining but seem to have developed a taste for widening my knowledge.

The lathe I own is a AA6232FX750 .It has been a good unit for basic work and I have owned it since new for about 6 years with no issues .

I have been looking at the thread cutting charts and think I have reasonable understanding of the chart however there is one dial that is marked l and ll bottom right of picture showing dials what is this dial for ? .could it be for switching between metric and imperial or is it something else .I have attached a few pics of the lathe .

My understanding of how to set up would be as follows for example 0.4 metric the dials would be set
M1 and D 4 however I'm still not sure on the dial marked l - ll what's this for

Any help much appreciated .
Regards Moper20170916_080842.jpg 20170916_080850.jpg 20170916_075631.jpg 20170916_075636.jpg 20170916_074341.jpg

Just a wild assed guess but the feed rate symbols are horizontal when 1 is selected and vertical when 2 is selected, this may note feed in X and feed in Z, many lathes have different lead screw pitches for each axis.

The two dials on the right give the SI, SII, MI, and MII combinations on the charts. S is for cutting feeds, M is for threading feeds.

The two dials on the right give the SI, SII, MI, and MII combinations on the charts. S is for cutting feeds, M is for threading feeds.
Thanks for the reply
It's dead obvious now you pointed that out .Guess I could not see the forest for trees when looking before I'll have a play around now and see how I get on

Your lathe is very similar to my PM1236. You already figured it out but the I II dial basically just doubles the feed rate as you can see on the chart. Sometimes I'll set my feed rate for finishing, then I'll simply switch the dial to II for roughing. Not perfect but works out well when I'm in a rush & don't feel like adjusting more dials.

Your lathe is very similar to my PM1236. You already figured it out but the I II dial basically just doubles the feed rate as you can see on the chart. Sometimes I'll set my feed rate for finishing, then I'll simply switch the dial to II for roughing. Not perfect but works out well when I'm in a rush & don't feel like adjusting more dials.
Thanks for that bit of info dark zero ,as I say I have owned it for many years but never really got into what it can actually do and have only used a bit of its potential but now I am interested in furthering the experience so sussing it out one step at a time .

Back