Thread Cleaning

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
I know all the old hands probably think this is a given but I figured out a solution to cleaning out the 3/4 threads on my tractor where bolts hold on front weights. The threads had possibly never had a bolt in them. They looked ground down and full of hard buildup. My tractor is a 1961 John Deere 2010. I have a backhoe on the back and she is a teeter-totter with out front weights.
Anyway, I took a 3/4 inch cap head bolt and ground 3 longitudinal grooves through the threads. Took ohhh - 45 seconds! lol So effectively it turned the bolt into a thread chaser or non cutting tap. Worked slicker than snot! I used lots of PB Blaster and my impact wrench in short bursts of working it in and then back out. Turns out the threads were fine and looked unused!
The thing I love to do is solve whatever problem may come up and getting into machining sure adds some arrows to my quiver.
2016-10-06 07.39.08.jpg

Coat the threads with anti-seize compound and you'll hardly ever have a problem getting them out.

You can also grind a slot all the way through a nut. I used a nut like this to clean concrete out of the mounting studs threads for metal buildings.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

You can also grind a slot all the way through a nut. I used a nut like this to clean concrete out of the mounting studs threads for metal buildings.

And there is another arrow in the quiver! Hadn't thought of that! Awesome!

Or likewise cut a slot in a bolt and spring it open a bit to get to the bottom of the internal threads.

Last edited:
the above picture reminds me of an apprentice trick I did long ago the boss handed me 10 ea nuts and told me to make half nuts out of them so I cut them in half just like the above picture. he was not amused and I got much better instructions after that ha ha ha bill. turning the lathe slow use a 3 corner file to clean up the threads. also if you can start a nut on the threads you can reform the threads by tapping the assembly on a large block of steel (anvil) not in good shape already don't ruin a good anvil. I used the steel tables at work 3/4" plate tops. tapping is a misnomer description it may take a hard tap bill used this on many all thread studs to clean up damaged threads do this until the nut spins on by hand. bill

Back