Thread Chaser

Go to you tube and look for geometric die head and you will see how those cutters work.

looks like a different version of thread files. I have the thread files. Think I only used them once. Should give them away one of these days.

Hi Jim , back in the early 70's I was shown how to use a geometric die head . The thing that is throwing me off on this tool is that the "die" is held in a handle . I did find this vid , but I really don't see it having anything to do with metal machining .
Bill , that was my first thought . Hold the tool up to the thread turn on the lathe and chase the thread . I know that's wrong , my fingers hurt just thinking about it .
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was reading Harold Hall's chapter on thread-cutting in the lathe (part of the Screw Jack project) and he mentioned using thread-chasers as a sort of form-tool when threading. The compound is kept parallel to the work (not at 30 deg) and infeed is done via the cross-slide.

He's a got a similar writeup on his website, including a toolholder for thread chasers. I know this is an old thread, but there wasn't much discussion of the use of thread chasers when I searched, so I thought I'd chuck the link in here for posterity.

Back