Thoughts on unloading vmc off my trailer

mkeller

Registered
Registered
Hello
Just picked up a milltronics p6, roughly 8'x8' with the guarding on and 6000 lbs.
Its on my trailer outside my shed but with all of the cold and ice I cant get the construction lift into my place to unload it. It could sit on the trailer but I don't like that option. I have access to machine skates and jacks and was thinking about welding steel plates to my unloading ramps and trying to roll it off, using a comealonge to inch it down the ramp. picture is when I loaded it for reference.
thanks mike

20140224_071720.jpg

It appears it was loaded with a forklift. Any chance you can rent a forklift to unload it?

Ray

yes, problem is my 3/4 mile driveway is ice. and my shed is snowed in too much to bring in a semi(no way for him to turn around). Best I can do is my neighbors bobcat or my tractor, both of which cannot lift the machine.

If you can wait a little bit, the weather should be getting better in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, warm enough to melt the driveway to make it passable. An all terrain fork lift would be ideal, something like a construction fork lift. Some pictures of the logistics of your site might help us give you better feedback.

Hello
Just picked up a milltronics p6, roughly 8'x8' with the guarding on and 6000 lbs.
Its on my trailer outside my shed but with all of the cold and ice I cant get the construction lift into my place to unload it. It could sit on the trailer but I don't like that option. I have access to machine skates and jacks and was thinking about welding steel plates to my unloading ramps and trying to roll it off, using a comealonge to inch it down the ramp. picture is when I loaded it for reference.
thanks mike

I have a trailer like that and with something that heavy the end is all but on the ground when the load is moved to the rear end of it....makes it handy as then the ramps are not at all steep... I just be sure to block tires if i'm on any incline as the trucks rear tires get light and sometimes can slide.... Many are built with pads that lower down to prevent the truck lifting, but I feel the flattened ramps are a big advantage in moving an item that big and heavy...my taillights are high enough that the end of my trailer can touch ground with out hitting them as I'm sure most are. That machine WOW !!! Like it

Well thanks to 3 more inches of snow and the threat of rain on Friday im going to give it a try tonight. I have welded flat stock on my trailer ramps and have al plates under the machine on the trailer. I will jack it up and set it on machine skates and see if I can pull it off. I am going to block up the back of the trailer so it will sink to about 6 inches off the concrete and then pull it off. I will have a come along to inch it down the ramps.
will post how it goes tomorrow.

Good luck.

Slow and methodical is the way to go. Think it through and have a plan, and some leverage items. Try to fasten those aluminum plates that are under the machine, to the machine. The Plates will make it far easier to slide. Wish I could be there to help you out.

You could do what my neighbor did with his Studebaker. Tie the back end to the shop with a chain and drive the trailer out from under it. It was kinda comical in a disturbing way.

OK- serious... You can lower the trailer by letting the air out of the tires to get s better angle. Not enough? Jack the trailer up, pull the wheel and lower the axle onto blocks.

Put some kind of restraint between the front of the trailer and the machine so it can't run away from you...

Larry

Well thanks to 3 more inches of snow and the threat of rain on Friday im going to give it a try tonight. I have welded flat stock on my trailer ramps and have al plates under the machine on the trailer. I will jack it up and set it on machine skates and see if I can pull it off. I am going to block up the back of the trailer so it will sink to about 6 inches off the concrete and then pull it off. I will have a come along to inch it down the ramps.
will post how it goes tomorrow.

Mike--take your time and be safe--wish I could be there to help you--looks like a good machine--you will get it unloaded ok if you take it slow and block your truck tires good--Dave

I'd rent or hire a skid-steer. Get one with tracks if necessary. In the meantime tarp it.

Back