Thoughts on an Eisen 1236GH vs. a Grizzly G9036 (or KentKLS1340a)

Bump.

I've been watching this thread, I was wondering if you'd gotten a lathe... specifically I was hoping for impressions on the Eisen 1236GH, if you'd gone that route. Not sure I can justify spending that much starting out, but it does look like it ticks all the right boxes.

I think Mark mentioned in another thread that he ended up purchasing a PM1340GT but I cannot remember which thread I read it on.

Now that you mention that, I see it in your thread about your PM1340GT. Nice looking machine you have there.

I can't help but wonder if the Eisen and PM1340GT are actually from the same factory, just branded differently (obviously, the PM is a little larger, too).

Yes! I ended up getting the 1340gt. Matt finally got back to me after several weeks. I ended up with a 3 phase version, and I am in the process of adding a Hitachi VFD. The total price with a DRO was close to enough to the Eisen, that it worked out for me. Overall the quality of the machine and the accesories is impressive. The manual includes several versions, including a 1236, so it probably comes down to what the vendor orders, accessories and support post purchase. At least for me, the improved workmanship or quality is worth the price difference. A less expensive Chinese version will probably give similar end results, put the user experience is different YMMV.

Cannot speak to the comparison, but the Eisen is definitely on my radar. Very nice looking machine. I too noticed the similarity to the PM 1340GT, which is one of the reasons I'm attracted to it. :)

Bill

Back