Thought I Found A Good Heavy 10 Locally... Opinions

jarrettbailey

Registered
Registered
First of all, I just bought a Heavy 10 in great shape. But I found one locally that a guy wanted to sell and I told him I couldn't go more than $1400 (he wanted $2000).

I went to look at it and I can't bring myself to pay 1400. It is a 1981 machine with hard ways, but the ways have SIGNIFICANT wear! I'm talking about 0.020" visible wear on the vees. This may not affect precision drastically, but speaks more to the wear of this lathe. The spindle bearings had 0.007" play and the carriage seemed not properly held to bed. A lot of slack there. Missing a handle for the compound. Slack in the cross slide but nothing that couldnt be remedied fairly easily. Gears sounded/looked fine however it is not under power so I can't be sure. It's a 4-1/2' bed machine.

I can't pay 1400 for it. But he does have the collet closer, steady rest and taper attachment with the machine - all of which I don't have with the machine I've already bought. I doubt he would entertain an offer of 800-900, but I think that's about all I could do. Is that reasonable? Is it even worth that?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Buy it, take what you want, and sell what's left, either has a whole unit, or part it out. It will take some time and effort, but it's a good way to acquire what you need or want.

I have done well in the past doing this.

Jason

Back