Thomas the Tank Engine track adaptor.

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
Registered
Well, my 5 year old little girl loves Thomas the Tank Engine. Over the years, track design has changed. Wood, plastic, and then the way the track pieces connect together change.

These adaptors can be bought. However, with a vertical mill, and always looking for a project for my little girl to learn and help with, I decided to make one.

Sorry, a little blurry.

DSC00044_zpsb637d197.jpg

Here's a CAD mockup.

Assem1_zpsace36b4b.jpg

Printed the drawing and made a 3D prototype just for fun! You can see the piece of wood it was going to be made of.

DSC00036_zpsad882a01.jpg

Here's my little girl Lilyana Grace. Did I mention she loves trains? ;) Here's an engine I've had since I was a kid. She named him "Red".

DSC00402_zps52c9b755.jpg

I guess I will cut this a little short because it’s late, and I work early! Your post brought back tons of great memories! My son now is, 24 y/o, and is a engineering liaison, for a huge tube bending company, and he would never admit it now, but he also LOVED Thomas the Tank Engine! I guess the bottom line here is, you are doing a great job, being a father too your daughter! You will never regret it!
Bob in Oregon

PS Then when you get as old as I am you can spoil the Grandkids!

Great post

My wife and I get to be the uncle and aunt to spoil my little brothers three girls. So I love getting them into the shop. Last summer we made toys on the laser cutter this year they turned rings on the lathe. Unless she has tons of tracking for Thomas you should let her design and build some of her own track designs. Mills are great for wood working since she doesn't have to hold the piece to cut it, her hands can stay safely on the hand wheels. Our local Lowes even caries safety glasses for kids.

Jeff

Great post

My wife and I get to be the uncle and aunt to spoil my little brothers three girls. So I love getting them into the shop. Last summer we made toys on the laser cutter this year they turned rings on the lathe. Unless she has tons of tracking for Thomas you should let her design and build some of her own track designs. Mills are great for wood working since she doesn't have to hold the piece to cut it, her hands can stay safely on the hand wheels. Our local Lowes even caries safety glasses for kids.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the reply!

Great job getting the kids involved! Some people say that kids don't have a place in the shop as it's too dangerous! Well, I still watch her, but she knows what not to get into.

I haven't mentioned it to her yet, but I have the plans for the turntable in the works. Once I tell her about it, I know it will be non-stop asking for it. I just need to be ready to make it when I tell her. We'll probably draw it up in CAD and then break out the wood.

I'm having fun in this forum already!

Dan

Love it. I never miss an opportunity to show people, especially kids, how wonderful it is to have the equipment, and the skills to use it - to actually MAKE USEFUL STUFF YOURSELF!

Back