This is just cool. Not practical, just cool!

I just think it's neat.

Agreed, neat video!
Interesting to see the colour change, the flopping stop and finally the blob form and drop.

Thanks for the post.
-brino

Was that steel? Looked kind of brass colored at first
-MS
There are quite a few videos on you tube about this. I believe it was copper in this video. In other videos, I have seen different metals.

This is just a nifty way to melt metal. I'm sure it takes a lot more energy than it's worth but I just think it's neat.
Inductively heating is a pretty efficient way to heat up ferro-magnetic metal. Hard to tell from the video if that is copper (looks like it at first), if so it must just be radiative? Also wondering what's causing the turbulence--just hot air from the part?

Here's a practical application of induction heating. I occasionally place an order with these folks due to odd sizes or specs. Check out how a bolt is made. They have a few interesting videos on how threads are made, especially the rolled threads. Most of this is just another day in the mill but it's being done at specialty levels. There's a lot of useful technical data on their site.

http://www.portlandbolt.com/

http://www.portlandbolt.com/videos/

Last edited:
If the video color is accurate that should be copper or bronze. The radiant color at the melting point looks to be in the ballpark of 1800-2000 deg. If that were steel it would be blinding white. Great video!
Robert

Inductively heating is a pretty efficient way to heat up ferro-magnetic metal. Hard to tell from the video if that is copper (looks like it at first), if so it must just be radiative? Also wondering what's causing the turbulence--just hot air from the part?
The "turbulence" is nothing more than it bouncing in a magnetic field. Force (gravity) trying to pull it one way and the field pushing it another.

The "turbulence" is nothing more than it bouncing in a magnetic field. Force (gravity) trying to pull it one way and the field pushing it another.
That's what made me think it might be ferromagnetic rather than copper or brass. I wouldn't think copper or brass would be bounced around with a magnetic field. I'd also think that steel would settle down after the temp exceeded the Curie point, so maybe it's just convection currents?

Back