Thinking Of Getting A Facemill For My Fr45 Clone

Nice! I have a lot to learn when it comes to machining (these forums have been a godsend), but I've been into fabrication for quite some time. My BuildPro changed the game for me. I can't say enough about them. Definitely a must-have for the serious fabricator.

948d40a409b3074aea78fd8894ea0267.jpg

Regarding the inserts, I'll have to read up on the characteristics of the ones you're running. I only have the SEAN's right now, but having a dedicated set for steel and alum respectively would be beneficial.

Haha, size is relative. I did opt for the 4x4 (slightly smaller than that), but I've had to get creative for larger projects. Someday I'll have a space large enough to house a larger table. In the meantime, I'll take advantage of the modular capabilities to make the table the size I need for the job.

93a0089bb3df1cea8c67b0300702634c.jpg

My shop is heated in the winter, but I battle condensation in the summer. I unbolted all of my plates and applied a light coat of cosmoline type protectant to the underside. I wipe the top down with WD-40 every other day or so. I'm in the shop daily and I like to keep a clean workspace, so it's not much of a hassle to wipe it down every now and then. That being said, I've had light surface rust on occasion that I've had to remedy with some scotch bite. Nothing that has raised my concern with the accuracy of the work surface though.

...the number of insert grades is maddening.

That's an understatement. I've been getting by, but I feel like it would require a graduate level independent study to truly understand all of the various inserts available and their ideal applications.

Oh you got the big 4x4 build pro, I should send tmarks a link just to get him worked up.

Curses on both of you.

Now I am going out in the garage to TIG something on my Northern Tool $130 "Welding" table. :confusion:

Curses on both of you.

Now I am going out in the garage to TIG something on my Northern Tool $130 "Welding" table. :confusion:
Hey. You've got a commercial welding table. I've got a thing I kludged up out of scrap T-posts.

Haha, size is relative. I did opt for the 4x4 (slightly smaller than that), but I've had to get creative for larger projects. Someday I'll have a space large enough to house a larger table. In the meantime, I'll take advantage of the modular capabilities to make the table the size I need for the job.

My shop is heated in the winter, but I battle condensation in the summer. I unbolted all of my plates and applied a light coat of cosmoline type protectant to the underside. I wipe the top down with WD-40 every other day or so. I'm in the shop daily and I like to keep a clean workspace, so it's not much of a hassle to wipe it down every now and then. That being said, I've had light surface rust on occasion that I've had to remedy with some scotch bite. Nothing that has raised my concern with the accuracy of the work surface though.

That's an excellent point about the modular feature of the Buildpro table, you can reconfigure the table plates to accommodate various sized projects even larger than your table. One thing though, I'm putting the Buildpro on some Footmaster ratcheting casters first chance I get.

Oh Illinois yeah humid. I live in a rain forest so there you go. I have some Bostik Glidecoat I had purchased for some wood working machine tables. The label says, prevents rust while repeling dust, dirt, and moisture, table and tool surface sealant, dramatically reduces sliding friction, better than wax. I have tried a number of sealants on my machines and accessories, the problem with all of them is chips stick to the stuff making clean up a pain. Even Boeshield is a pain in this regard. This Bostik Glidecoat however leaves a dry, reduced friction surface. Chips should not stick. I'm going to start with my mill, clean off the Boeshield and give Glidecoat a try and see how it holds up. It worked quite well on my table saw and band saw cast iron tables.

http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-GlideCote-formerly-TopCote-10-75/dp/B00DAN8P2O

Back