Thinking about G0759 - advice?

Just a few comments on the G0759 - Have owned one since last summer and have limited machining experience.

Purchase additional intermediate plastic gears in case you get too aggressive with your cuts. I bought a couple just in case but have not needed to replace any gearing yet.

The stock machine is limited to about 2200 rpm.

If you need to run higher rpm and also want to eliminate the plastic gear issue, consider a future move to a belt drive.

I am thrilled with the results I get from the G0759. The DRO gives me the ability to cut very accurately.

Cranking the X axis wheel became very annoying for me, so the power feed accessory (T23010) found it's way from the Grizzly back-ordered list to my machine last week. Installation was simple (including installing the table limit switch). A modification was necessary to remount the DRO shield on the back of the table.

Overall, this machine works OK for me!

Yeah, my reasons for going with the GO463 are listed here in a message I sent to another member. They are the same conclusions everyone else has come to. The G704/759 is a good solid machine other then it's one weak link. The included DRO seems to keep the machine a big seller. I almost bought one.

The GO463 is already equipped with a belt drive.

I decided because I did not want to have to modify a new machine and likely void the warranty and/or the extra work involved. The modification work swap out the plastic gears for metal gears or change the machine over to a belt drive would be fun to do but I have to many things going on to make time for it. I just want to put the machine to work. I believe that the 759 is a good machine but I like to run up to 1" endmills and the 759 is real good up to about 5/8".

I am only a hobby guy without a lot of experience but my decision was made by the fact that the 704/759 ships with those plastic drive gears. The DRO is a real nice feature for the 759 and I would love to have it but I just plan to add the cheaper sliding scale DRO setup to my machine and try to live with that. The 704/759 and the GO463 are all the good choices that I had in my price range and after a couple of weeks of reading and thought I choose to add a DRO to my new 463 when I am able to find the time and money to do so. Running up 1" endmills is pushing my machine to it's max but with light cuts I do pretty good with other light duty mills. The 704/759 will probably have just as good of performance if a guy is thoughtful with it's use.

I would recommend that you order two or three spare gears when you can as they are often out of stock for months at a time with them. Or even better modify the machine after it arrives.

All the best

I've been trying to order this machine as well. I purchased via paypal 1/5/15 only to receive an email that they didn't have stock available to ship within the refund window enforced by paypal and that they subsequently had to cancel my order. They said they were expecting a new shipment 2/6/15, so I logged on 2/7/15 to order, and it said not available for immediate shipment, so I sent an email over. I got my response this morning that they aren't expecting a shipment until march 13 now.....I find it an odd coincidence that each time I've inquired the date they expect shipment is the date of response plus one day a month later.....Have quite a few projects on the back burner waiting on this machine, and I even ordered the clamping kit, boring head kit, and some other accessories from grizzly in anticipation of owning this machine...

If you want a G0759, you need to get it ordered. If my experience is anywhere close to usual, the February shipment is already spoken for, and the March one is probably sold out, too. Even the G0704 is on back order now. They ship oldest back order first, so you could be waiting a long time.

I just cut some steel gears on my 759. The DRO is sweet.

Agree with Baithog: For popular machines from Griz you need to just bite the bullet and get on the 'waiting list'. You could be waiting a long time for it to become generally available.

.I find it an odd coincidence that each time I've inquired the date they expect shipment is the date of response plus one day a month later.....
Sounds like you need to find a different payment means than pay pal.

THE SHIPPING/IN STOCK problem for a lot of things beside Grizzly can currently be traced to west coast sea ports and labor problems/slow down unloading container ships.

The same thing happened to me when I ordered my lathe using my amazon payment option. I called them and gave them my CC number directly. You could also use a CC on their web site. I have also heard that their system will cancel and then restart the order after 90 days or something like that. This does not kick you out of line, they just do it to keep back orders from getting totally lost if something never comes back in stock.

Jim

Back