Things You May Find While Rebuilding A Machine

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
While I was cleaning up the inside of the headstock on my 15" Sheldon Precision Lathe. I notice a shiny piece of sheet metal looking thing in the bottom of the headstock. Well, I was able to move it over enough to tell what it was. IT was a Craftsman 10 foot x 1/2" wide push button release tape measure. It still works! Very well lubricated. Here's some pictures of the tape measure. It has the initials of "J.T." Anyone missing one from around 1960? I did post this on the Sheldon Lathe group to see if John Knox would tune and comment. It has not posted yet. Ken

DSCN3559.JPG

DSCN3560.JPG

DSCN3561.JPG

While I was cleaning up the inside of the headstock on my 15" Sheldon Precision Lathe. I notice a shiny piece of sheet metal looking thing in the bottom of the headstock. Well, I was able to move it over enough to tell what it was. IT was a Craftsman 10 foot x 1/2" wide push button release tape measure. It still works! Very well lubricated. Here's some pictures of the tape measure. It has the initials of "J.T." Anyone missing one from around 1960? I did post this on the Sheldon Lathe group to see if John Knox would tune and comment. It has not posted yet. Ken

Great find! From back when Craftsman was a great brand of tools.
Jim

I'm new to machining but isn't it more appropriate to use a more accurate measuring device than a tape measure, when running a high precision lathe. Maybe it has a vernier scale on it.:)
My thoughts was, why would you have a tape measure around while putting the headstock together?:eek:

I've heard about finding tools in the chip pan, I've even found stuff in the base :grin:, but never thought you'd find anything but steel dust in the bottom of the headstock. Your nickname must be Lucky!

Back