Coolant systems
Surface plates
CNC machines
DRO's
Three phase motors
Variable speed drives
Dead level lathe
Collets
Micrometers (dang, I hate to say that, but as the Smurfs used to say "Truth is Truth" )

Not that these items do not have a legitimate place in the shop, its just their importance has become greatly exaggerated.

Bill

Can't say I disagree with any of this.

But really, being a machinist isn't the same as owning machine tools. Just speaking for myself, I've put additional purchases of new equipment on hold while I figure out how to do some of the basic operations with the tools I already have. I am a newbie after all.

Walt

Things that are about as important as a new paint job on a worn out lathe:

Carbide tooling
Quick change tool holders
Super precise machines & tooling
Less than .020" backlash
Coolant systems
Surface plates
CNC machines
DRO's
Three phase motors
Variable speed drives
Dead level lathe
Collets
Micrometers (dang, I hate to say that, but as the Smurfs used to say "Truth is Truth" )

Not that these items do not have a legitimate place in the shop, its just their importance has become greatly exaggerated.

Bill

Maybe they won't instantly turn you into a skilled machinist, but many of those items, depending on the equipment you already have, will add to ones ability to better turn out accurate projects, and generally make life at the lathe or mill a little easier.....and if you can more easily complete a project it will add to the enjoyment of the hobby.

M

As a career machinist, we've got a saying: Anybody could make good parts on a brand new machine, it takes skill to get good products from this junk! :lmao:

Truthfully, I'm amazed at some fellows' ingenuity at getting things done, with less. I agree, throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it. However... the more tools that I build for my hobby shop ( quick- change TP), and the better quality tools ( B&S test indicator ), greatly increase my enjoyment, and success.

In short, tools are just that, tools. The most important tool is your brain.

Ed Hoc

I agree with Ed. All of the mentioned items I have are micrometers and a quick change tool post. If you're trying to make money you need most of the other items. Hobby machinist don't need them but collecting these things is almost a hobby in itself and if you enjoy it good for you.

Doug

Then, all you need is a file.

My mill is down while I make some modifcations to the head, including making some new drive pulleys. I needed to cut keyways on these pulleys, and needed some cutters to do so. Would have normally turned to the mill, but instead, I used a file. Results were great. I seem to remember a lot of early machine tools were designed to replace hand filing.

I also agree with the OPs premise. A lot of people getting started (me included) think that you need a lot of things on that list, some of which are pretty expensive, when the reality is that none of the things on that list are required to do good work (well, I would argue with the micrometer, the ability to measure IS required). Too often this serves as a barrier to action, as we tell ourselves "we can't do this without X".

I recall a reprint of an old engineering magazine (Popular Mechanics maybe?) that had an article on building a jig for cutting gears using hand files. So in some sense, I would agree that yes, all you need is a file, though you could probably get by with a chisel and hammer, though I think that your statement was somewhat in jest :tiphat:

Well I thought this was the hobby machinist forum, with a hobby something you do for fun. But hey - if one's idea of fun is to make something as hard to do as possible, or to prove to the rest of the world that it can be done with the minimum amount of tools necessary then go for it. I suspect it won't be long until someone chimes in with a video of them making precision cuts in titanium with nothing but a wild beaver with fake wooden teeth, held in the off-hand of course and if you're ambidextrous you don't get to play. But if you want to really impress then you'll have to do it blindfolded and hold the workpiece down with a rubberband held by your toes.

The really good ones don't even need a mill lathe or shaper - they just use jedi mind tricks to make the metal transform in to the shape they want. Sounds incredible I know, but I saw it on the internet so it must be true. :))

Micrometers ?
Hey, the first tool I bought as a machinist was a 0-1" micrometer, that I still have and use ALL the time. Maybe that was second after my 6" pocket scale.

My DRO does seem like cheating...

:))

Back