Things I recently learned about small engine repair shops.

Salt, Toronto can not survive winters without it.
IMO half the drivers in Toronto have no idea how to drive in the snow.

I learned to drive in Winnipeg……

Don’t try this at home kids…… How to stop a car in January in Winnipeg with iffy summer tires in the 70’s when your a wreckless teenager in way too much of a hurry.

Oh sh.t that stop sign is getting too close too quickly.
1) pump the brakes, little effect we’re on black ice.
2) Clutch in, heel modulating brakes, toe on gas, rev it up dump it in reverse, get the tires going backwards while pumping the brakes. Usually helps a fair bit and often works, if not proceed to level 3.
3) Level 3 still not going to stop in time, 20 feet from the stop sign turn directly into and up the 6’ high snow bank this really takes the energy out of the car, timing is everything need just enough so you can roll backwards to a few feet before the stop sign, without getting stuck half way up. Disaster avoided. I’m not joking, I did this too many times.

Now I’m often the old geezer in the slow lane. Keep in mind no tickets, no accidents for almost 50 years.

Attachments

• 3878E1BF-CF98-4110-8EAA-B55F99EED87F.jpeg
    3878E1BF-CF98-4110-8EAA-B55F99EED87F.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 9
I’m a Honda fanboy.
Yup. Been fixing small engines since the old 'tote-goat' days. A minibike, no suspension, 5 hp horizontal shaft Briggs or Tecumseh.
Honda reliability and longevity have them both beat hands down.
The same machine, regardless of which one, costs considerably more with Honda power than any of the other choices.

Money well spent, I say.

Honda branded equipment is usually very nice, I was a Honda snowblower and engine dealer but couldn’t get the mowers. Think I only sold one or two blowers the whole time I had the shop.

They do have some lower end stuff that goes on the big box equipment. Those aren’t the same in my experience.

John

Back