Thin wall MT3 to MT2 adapter?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Is there such an animal as a thin wall MT3 to MT2 adapter? The Sioux adapter I have in my kit has a wall thicknesses of about 0.135". The adapter projects beyond the face of the tail stock socket about 7/8" when in place.

I was wondering if there's an adapter with a thinner wall that would take some of that projection away? Of course that means that the geometry of the back end of the adapter would need to be a bit different as well. I am thinking this is all feasible and wondering if someone makes it.

I think it is time you make one. :encourage:

I would not think that something like that would exist commercially. Although, I have been known to be wrong countless times before.

They indicate the Z-Live sleeve measures 2.5" so is shorter than the taper section on a MT3. So should work as opposed to the adapter sleeves with a tang.
Outside Morse Taper 3.
Inside Morse taper 2.
Made of high quality alloy steel hardened and ground throughout.
Overall Length: 2-1/2".
Run out: 0.0001"

http://zlivecenter.com/02010MT32
mt3 to mt2.jpg

Thanks Mark, I had seen the sleeves but was uncertain as their wall thickness. I called Z Live Center and asked and they say it will project less than the tang end adapter. I must say there was a bit of a language barrier and I am not sure I was able to explain it well enough and felt I may have lead them to the answer I was after.

It's worth ordering one and seeing how it works. The length should definitely help on hang out compared to an adapter with a tang. The adapter with a tang gets expelled from the tail stock at about the 7/8" projection mark. The sleeve will help preclude that at least. It may still hang out a bit but at least it will eliminate the earlier touch down with the tang adapter.

EDIT: Have one coming now..

Last edited by a moderator:
They indicate the Z-Live sleeve measures 2.5" so is shorter than the taper section on a MT3. So should work as opposed to the adapter sleeves with a tang.
Outside Morse Taper 3.
Inside Morse taper 2.
Made of high quality alloy steel hardened and ground throughout.
Overall Length: 2-1/2".
Run out: 0.0001"

http://zlivecenter.com/02010MT32

So this one is a thinner sleeve than standard?

Randy, I doubt the actual wall thickness is any thinner. The gent at ZLC said it was but like I said I think there was a big language barrier in the way.

What it will likely accomplish however is allowing you to keep the tailstock retracted deeper into the housing since there's no tang.

I should have it on Friday (EDIT: Monday) and we'll get a confirmation one way or the other. I will post some photos of the two different adapters in the tailstock.

Meanwhile I should seize the opportunity to buy a toolpost grinder so I can grind it down shouldn't I??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark, I had seen the sleeves but was uncertain as their wall thickness. I called Z Live Center and asked and they say it will project less than the tang end adapter. I must say there was a bit of a language barrier and I am not sure I was able to explain it well enough and felt I may have lead them to the answer I was after.

It's worth ordering one and seeing how it works. The length should definitely help on hang out compared to an adapter with a tang. The adapter with a tang gets expelled from the tail stock at about the 7/8" projection mark. The sleeve will help preclude that at least. It may still hang out a bit but at least it will eliminate the earlier touch down with the tang adapter.

EDIT: Have one coming now..

The type of sleeve that Mark posted a pic of from ZLC is not any thinner, it's shorter, much shorter than a standard sleeve. The center you put in it might be longer than the sleeve. They project less cause those sleeves are the type that are used in the headstock spindle. I have one of thise in a MT5-MT3 from ZLC, the one that came with my lathe wasn't that great.

I wouldn't use of those in the tailstock. Because it has no tang, when you try to eject it with the tailstock handwheel, you risk ejecting the center out of that sleeve & you'll have to figure out a way to eject that sleeve. If you have a slot in your tailstock quill for a drift, that still may not work as these sleeves are shorter.

What it will likely accomplish however is allowing you to keep the tailstock retracted deeper into the housing since there's no tang.

If that's all you want you can simply cut the tang off. That's what I did for my drill chucks that I use on my lathe to get the full travel of the quill. On my live centers that I use sleeves on I don't really care cause most of the time I have to extend the quill to use them but I cut the tangs off anyway (still need to do one more). My tailstock does not have the slot for the tangs so it doesn't matter to me.

20171109_140231.jpg

Thanks Will. I don't doubt at all that it is not thinner. We will find out 'cause it has been ordered and will be here in a few days.

I will carefully check out the dimensions and issues you point out before jamming that baby in there too tight.

Back