These Guys Might Need A Bigger Range...

IMHO ;) That is more of an exercise in physics than it is in "shooting". Very interesting to say the least but "perfect conditions", 17 shots, etc. kind of takes the shine off of it for me. Maybe I'm just jealous though, I have a helluva time finding a spot to shoot my .50 BMG and .338 Lapua Barretts let alone be able to take a 2 mile shot.

-Ron

Actually it's 2.392045 miles or "a good ways" round these parts.:) Mike

My first reaction was similar to Ron's, in that I used to direct 8" howitzers onto a 55 gal drum at 15000+ yards and could keep it there all day. And I didn't need 17 rounds to adjust fire.

But then I realized that what they did is an achievement nonetheless and took considerable tenacity to get there. :)

It's a heck of a feat for a non-benchrest rifle that is shooting a bullet that is only 375 grains. That round probably weighs less than the primer charge on your howitzer, Bill. BTW, dropping 8" rounds consistently on target at those ranges is pretty amazing too.

Good to have guys like Bill on our side! My idea of long range is my AR15 at 600 yards and a 3" target. Too many farmyards too close together in this part of the country. I find truly long range shooting . . . amazing.

Tom

Don't want to get to off topic here, and I still think they did a pretty good job with what they had, but in '77 or '78 (memory is fading...) they were converting the 8" howitzers to long-tube versions as they were phasing out the 175 guns which were the long range bad boys of the day. We discovered the hyper accuracy of the long tube conversions and put a demonstration on for the brass out at 29 stumps. We were going after accuracy, so we didn't go out to max range, which was somewhere around 18-20 thousand yards with a non-RAP (rocket assisted projectile) round IIRC. I was the forward observer for the exercise which was kinda cool as I do love blowing stuff up. And to give credit where it's due I would have to say that the FDC (fire direction control) were the guys responsible for the accuracy. I just told them where to drop it. :D

I was a Scout in my early years and also did a stint as a rifle/pistol instructor in the Corps for a while, so I know my way around the smaller stuff too. ;)

Back