[Read!] There was a time when...

I've never seen why we've needed Torx over Allen.

NOW, they came up with Torx with a little denial pin in the middle. Could not even buy that screwdriver, had to make one. :(

They do sell those security torx screwdivers as well as bits. Just do a search for security torx screwdrivers.

I've never seen why we've needed Torx over Allen.

NOW, they came up with Torx with a little denial pin in the middle. Could not even buy that screwdriver, had to make one. :(

I've actually always preferred torx to Allen.

I find when the Allen key slips, hammering a Torx in will usually get the screw out...

Denial pins? security Torx bits or a punch and hammer to "relieve" the pin, they snap straight out!

What DOES annoy is when people use Phillips in Posidrive and vice-versa, the angles are different, the flutes are different, the screw heads are Boroughly Thuggered. Plus of course, the invisible difference between Japanese JIS and US SAE Phillips, which gives the same result.

Oh, and people who won't take the trouble to find the correct slotted-screwdriver and turn a nice cheesehead into a non-removable security screw...

Dave H. (the other one)

I prefer Torx and Allen equally over Phillips or Posi-drive. I often swear that the latter two were designed with the sole purpose of driving a man to drink.

Phillips/variants and straight blades are junk. Naturally when they first came out manufacturing was not as refined as today. Robertson square wood screws are so much better than the other two. Tork and allens are almost interchangeable although the Tork screws are much better against stripping than the Allen.

I prefer Torx and Allen equally over Phillips or Posi-drive. I often swear that the latter two were designed with the sole purpose of driving a man to drink.
I've read that phillips heads were designed to "cam out" so they wouldn't be over tightened in the then new use of aluminum in the aircraft industry.

I've read that phillips heads were designed to "cam out" so they wouldn't be over tightened in the then new use of aluminum in the aircraft industry.
Ya, but they do a great job of 'camming out' when you're trying to remove one that's been in place for a long period of time, rendering the fastener almost permanently locked in place, thus my distaste for them. :mad:

Back