The "why" Of Lathe Tool Height

On my 12" and 7" lathes I achieve center with QC tool holders quickly. However, on my Sherline lathe I have a QC but do not use it. I have made so many tool holders that I center with packing I seldom have to repack them. When dull I just grab another tool holder complete with the tool and start turning. I know many Sherline users like the QC but I have always thought it a little clumsy and had a tendency to turn under too much pressure.

I'm self taught and therefore must use anything and everything available to climb the learning curves. There are videos on Youtube that describe how to get the top of the tool at precise center of the workpiece. So that's what I do. One in particular is from a machinist that apparently enjoys teaching opportunities. (I'm glad that there are those that do that) I discovered that I now have 100% success parting solid bar workpieces now than when I simply approximated center. Being dead center of the axis eliminates any concern about the size of the workpiece. It works on large or tiny-small. It also means that I don't have to measure .002 to .005 above or below. My threading operations also produce better results when the tool is centered on the axis.
So for simplicity and in light of my own results, I'm a "centered" guy.

I like it directly centered too. It just seems to cut consistently and accurately when it's right on center. Now the cutoff tool does much better just a very slight above center.

Back