The when and why of flux core

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
under what circumstances would you want to use flux core, or dual shield flux core?

I've been messing with MIG welders for some years now. I have gas connected, but have never used it for anything but the aluminum spool gun ( or the TIG welder). I like the convenience of turning on the welder, tweaking the settings, welding the project and shutting it down without turning gas on, adjusting it, welding, then shutting down the tank and draining the regulator.

I know that solid wire with gas is a lot cleaner, but I don't mind cleaning up the spatter for the sake of all the other conveniences. If I was doing really thin metal, I'd be more inclined to use gas.

I use flux core when I'm outside, when the wind can blow the shielding gas away, or when I take the Mig somewhere and I don't want to haul the tank with me. I also use it when the metal is not clean or is a hassle to clean. Flux core is messier, though.

use flux core for general welding
use dual shield when you want to pay twice as much to weld something, you'll be buying the wire and shielding gas too.
the advantage i'm aware of with dual shield is that you can weld stainless with argon as the shielding gas

flux core can be made less messy by paying attention to stick out length and amperage in most cases.
inexpensive flux core wire is also a fastpass to a spatterfest and a crappy weld too.
anti spatter juice helps out, if you'd like the extra expense

So it seems it really does come down to just preference?
I've been stick and MIG welding for years but nothing beyond hobby or the odd favour job. I recently picked up a new-to-me machine that is much bigger than my previous 110v mig and seperate 225a stick machine. An airco unit that does mig, AC and DC stick, and Tig (with the right equipment)
I remember when I first bought my 110v machine a decade ago, it came with low quality flux core wire. Coupled with my brand new inability to weld and the underpowered 110v machine, the flux core was a messsss. Once I put gas on that machine it was like night and day and swore I'd never do flux core again.
Fast forward 10 years. I'd say I'm a fairly intermediate welder with enough knowledge of an ignorant hobbiest BUT with a taste for YouTube teachers now. I've seen many YouTubers use flux core. Chucky2009 uses it often, sometimes explains why but not why he chose flux core. Also Jody from welding tips and tricks, same fiasco.
So it raised the question.
I've also noticed a drastic difference in price between what appears to be crap flux core and a good flux core...? Nearly $80 for a big roll (this airco only takes big rolls, unless I build an adapter)

Right now it has .030" wire. With about somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 of a roll left. I might to go .035" once it's gone.
The machine runs really well after I cleaned everything up, but I don't often get the nice bacon frying sound when I have the heat a bit higher. More of a popping than a frying. I usually have to have the feed knob maxed. Maybe trying to weld too much with too thin of wire? On a bit lower heat on thinner guage it sounds fine. But otherwise, nice bead, good penetration, clean, fairly happy.

a lot of the 110v machines will run better on a 20 amp circuit.
i have a HF 90 amp (110v operation) flux core unit, it is set to max amps, i vary the wire speed & i use .030 innershield NR232
i also have a Lincoln SP125 (110v operation) mig that i use for thin stainless welding .030 309L wire & Tri mix (argon/helium/CO2 mix)
both welders are incomparable to my PowCon 200s (220V 3 phase) FCAW .035" NR232 innershield, the penetration and range of thickness of materials i can weld is much greater than any 110v unit
110 units you are limited to 3/16"ish material
220 units can weld thick sections without a problem

I run a lot of .045", .068" and 3/64" flux-core, on remote jobsites

I use .023 with gas for everything under 1/8". 1/8" and above, I switch to flux core, I get better penetration that way- flux core burns hotter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back