The Stars Have Been In Alignment For Me This Week. Just Got My First Lathe, A D/r 11x36, 25-100

They were on EBAY, use a shim between the half nuts befor you tap, that way you have some room to compress tighter if you need to. Tim

Woops! I see I already posted those links and had that discussion on your thread.

Here are a couple shots of the some of the apron parts off my lathe:

I don't know the proper names of the gears, but I'm sure you'll know what they are. The carriage drive gear is very worn and needs replacement. It is a pressed-in fit in the larger diameter gear, which is in good shape. The half-nuts are worn out. I believe I should be able to repair those, though, but clamping them tight in the bracket, and running a tap through to re-cut the threads. The clutch gear (brass one) is also very worn and needs to be replaced. Seems like I saw a post somewhere where somebody had made some of these and was offering them for sale. Anybody know who it was?

There are several bushings that need replacement as well. Looks like the bushings can be bought off the shelf for less than what I could make them for. There are also a couple 1/2" shafts that show some wear that it wouldn't hurt to replace.

I was looking at my cross slide screw. It looks pretty straight forward, as far as replacing it with an off-the-shelf section of screw, until you look at the end toward the handwheel. It is drilled out for about 6" and has two keys broached into the inside diameter for the first 1-1/4". That looks like it would be a challenge, especially for a novice like myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the DTM BXA QCTP apart, there is 2 screws on the bottom and 2 precision ground keys which I removed. I turned the handle backwards and the wedges came loose and the top just came out. There are 2 O-rings in it. I pulled the O-rings and soaked the parts in the solvent tank. I cleaned it up and removed the crud with a wire tooth brush and a red scotch brite pad. I lubed it with some EP2 grease, reassembled and it is butter smooth. Now I need to make the nut fit my compound slide and get some tool holders.

I think that a QCTP is one of the best items we can add to our lathe's. Tim

I absolutely love my DTM. I have AXA. Shame they are out of business. There is a guy from PA on Ebay selling the last of their stock. I believe yours is the "75" series. Do a search if you are interested.

I have a few Aloris, and a few china holders too and they are all fine.

Two of the guys who started DTM started at Aloris.

Bernie

I absolutely love my DTM. I have AXA. Shame they are out of business. There is a guy from PA on Ebay selling the last of their stock. I believe yours is the "75" series. Do a search if you are interested.

I have a few Aloris, and a few china holders too and they are all fine.

Two of the guys who started DTM started at Aloris.

Bernie

Do you have any vibration issues with the AXA vs a BXA? Just curious if it is worth the extra size. Tim

Absolutely NONE. Solid as a rock. I have a SB 10L, and perform pretty heavy cuts for it's size, cut-off, you name it. SOLID.

Bernie

The phase II AXA at work on the Hardinge has issues of turning when using the parting tool. I cranked down the nut pretty hard and it still pivoted. I am hoping the larger holder will prevent this on my lathe. Tim

My toolpost is a Royal Products turret-style. Looks like a pretty solid piece. Came on the lathe. From what I have seen listed, they're selling for about a third of what I paid for my whole lathe. It still needs to go into the rust-remover bucket, get polished up a bit, and I need to replace three of the tool holder screws. That will be a good first try at threading for me...or I could just replace all of them with Allen screws.

2013-11-05_10-28-52_782.jpg

2013-11-05_10-28-52_782.jpg

My toolpost is a Royal Products turret-style. Looks like a pretty solid piece. Came on the lathe. From what I have seen listed, they're selling for about a third of what I paid for my whole lathe. It still needs to go into the rust-remover bucket, get polished up a bit, and I need to replace three of the tool holder screws. That will be a good first try at threading for me...or I could just replace all of them with Allen screws.

View attachment 64652

After using a QCTP and getting away from shimming like royal, you will never look back. Tim

I'll get this one cleaned up and work with it a bit, if I find I like a QC better, I'll sell this one and buy the other. Still, being inexperienced, I expect that once I start using this one, I'll likely just stick with it. I won't know what I'm missing. I have been told a BXA doesn't fit the compound without some milling involved. Comparing my Royal to an AXA, it appears this Royal is much more substantial.

The only thing I had to trim was the T nut that slides in the compound rest. That is common, I had to thin the edges .070 and make it .200 narrower. Tim

Back