The Rotary Table I've Been Waiting For

You can use it on the gear, but I would use a light grease like white lithium, for the table interface use way oil

I too have purchased a few pieces of Chinesium tooling over the years when I was in a hurry and nothing else was available. In most cases they did the job but were disappointments to say the least. One of the more recent purchases was a Vevor 4" vise for the horizontal mill in 2018. I was making collet bushings for the Black Diamond drill grinder, and the one I had was worn to the point it couldn't hold anything square.

I had looked at all the usual places including used equipment dealers, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay and others. I finally bit the bullet and purchased one from an eBay vendor. To keep from being disappointed I started drinking from the time I made the order until the day it arrived. I knew it wouldn't negate the pain of getting a poorly made tool, but it might at least lessen it.

When the fateful day arrived, I opened the UNDAMAGED package, took it to the shop. I set it up on the mill and started taking measurements. Much to my surprise it was well within the specifications stated by the manufacturer. I was so shocked in fact that I not only went on the wagon immediately, I went to therapy and found religion all in the same day.

It does prove out the old adage that even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. That being said I still avoid Chinesium tooling whenever possible. My liver can't take the abuse and strain, and I don't have enough antidepressants or alcohol around to help me through the waiting period.

My first choice will always be OLD AMERICAN IRON.

I had looked at all the usual places including used equipment dealers, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay and others. I finally bit the bullet and purchased one from an eBay vendor. To keep from being disappointed I started drinking from the time I made the order until the day it arrived. I knew it wouldn't negate the pain of getting a poorly made tool, but it might at least lessen it.
I walked into the house one evening, I had been suffering with a bad cold all week, pulled the tequila out of the freezer poured a shot and down the hatch. Wife standing on the other side of the bar looking at me as I downed 2 more shots said "you know that will not make you feel any better, right?". I smiled, took another shot, and answered her snarly question with "right; but if I do a few more I will not care!"

Chinese tools are really hit or miss. I've got some that are good enough for me and some that took some "adjustments." I've only bought a few items on eBay, results were worse than cheapo Vevor stuff. I've only bought from Vevor a few times and been lucky, so far. Before ordering ignore the comments for the most part. Figure it is going to be a kit. I can't justify the price of top of the line tools and I don't work to .0001s. I repair things and do stuff just to see if I can.

No, she was the finest woman I ever met. They were the best 18 years of my life.
With the possible exception of my current wife and the last 18 years.
@MrWhoopee I feel that I maybe need to apologise if I seemed insensitive or offended you with my comment,but I get the idea that your first wife is deceased? If so,please accept my applogy if that is the case,I honestly thought your comment was made in a humarous manner.

@MrWhoopee I feel that I maybe need to apologise if I seemed insensitive or offended you with my comment,but I get the idea that your first wife is deceased? If so,please accept my applogy if that is the case,I honestly thought your comment was made in a humarous manner.
I was not offended, it is common to assume that the first marriage ended unpleasantly. While no divorce is pleasant, she did that with as much love as is possible. She passed 8 years later. RIP

Chinese tools are really hit or miss. I've got some that are good enough for me and some that took some "adjustments." I've only bought a few items on eBay, results were worse than cheapo Vevor stuff. I've only bought from Vevor a few times and been lucky, so far. Before ordering ignore the comments for the most part. Figure it is going to be a kit. I can't justify the price of top of the line tools and I don't work to .0001s. I repair things and do stuff just to see if I can.
The 3" mill vise I bought from Vevor was so nice I ponied up for the 4".

Thaty one was indeed a kit. It showed up damaged with little packing, so they gave me 1/3 off. Then I stopped being disgusted with it and tried to ues it and, woah boy, bad bad bad bad....

I complained a second time again with pics and they gave me another 1/3 off.

So $22 for a complete vise kit was acceptable, and I'm slowly making improvements to it. Their jaws were hot smoking crap, so they got changed out first, next is taking it to work and grinding it square and giving it a little clearance so you don't have to fight with it to get the movable jaw to be movable.

Back